Chapter 20: The Sacred Ritual

Hi everyone!!  SK here.

I can officially say that we're about halfway through the book.  I do hope you're all enjoying it so far, I love writing this story :)

Let's begin.  Please enjoy everyone!!! ^w^

Ash

"Okay, so we're staying awake until midnight for what purpose exactly?" 

I yawn as I ask my question.  I'm really worn out from today's tedious work, and I thought that I would need sleep for what's to come tomorrow.  Pikachu sits on my shoulder and Greninja stands next to me; both look ready to fall asleep as well.  If I'm being completely honest with myself, part of me hopes to see Serena in my dreams.  I think I'm beginning to accept our fate, the fate that we can't be together.  That doesn't mean I don't care about her, though.

"There's something I need to show you," Layra tells me absently.  She stands beside me, ruffling through some books.  We are in a tall room filled with what seems like millions of book shelves, presumably a library of some sort.  Honestly, the thought of books just makes me want to sleep even more.

"Can't we do it tomorrow?" I whine.

I can tell that Layra wants to slap me when she turns towards me.  "No, no we can't!  He'll be awake then.  He won't want us in here."

She doesn't say his name, so I assume that she's talking about Rin.  "Fair point, but what is it exactly?"

"Remember about that last resort I told you about earlier?  There's some texts on it in here.  Also, since there's an imbalance right now, it's probably best you learn about that too- aha!  Here it is."  Layra's voice takes on a happier tone as she pulled a book from the shelf and adds it to the large stack that already rests in her hands.  "Okay, let's start."

I nod, still a little confused, and go to sit in one of the padded chairs off to the side of the room.  There is a table in front of me, so Layra sets the books on there and grabs a chair for herself.  She takes one look at me, notices my tired face, and says, "Don't worry.  This won't take long."

I sigh with relief.  "Oh good, because I'm more tired than a Snorlax right now."

I see Layra smile at my joke but makes no comment.  She pulls out the first book on the stack, which has a mahogany colour to it.  It is clearly ancient; the cover is worn and there are several torn pages.  Despite that, the book seems to be relatively intact.

"This was written by Lita and Zagan themselves," Layra begins.  "You know, when they were alive.  This one's about the Balance Ritual."

"A whole book dedicated to one spell?" I ask skeptically.

She nods vigorously.  "Of course!  This is the most powerful spell a regular fairy can do, and its effects can almost be catastrophic to the world."

I blinked.  "This sounds... really serious.  Wait, what do you mean by regular fairy?"

"Any fairy besides the Queen.  And it is," Layra adds slowly.  Then, suddenly, her voice grows more grave.  "But, Ash, you need to take this very seriously.  This ritual causes a lot of devastation, but it has the power to undo the world's destruction."

"Layra, I promise," I say quickly.  "I know its a big deal."

"Thank you," she says, her voice returning to its usual caliber.  "Here, I'll start explaining; the Balance Ritual has the power to restore the world to its previous state before imbalance... only performed as a last resort... needs a sacrifice... okay, even I admit that this going to be boring," she says, flopping backwards and closing the book.  She only read a page, not even...