Chapter 26: A Spirit's Guidance

Hi everyone!!  SK here.

Yeah I had no idea what to name this chapter, cause there's A LOT of stuff happening.  I'm updating early because this weekend I'm gonna be busy, so I want to make sure there's an update out on time!!

Anyways, as always, be sure to enjoy :)

Ash

"R...Rin?" I ask slowly.  "Like... the Dark Leader Rin?"

The spirit sighs.  "Yes, Ash.  That's because I am him."

A pause.

"You don't believe me, do you."

"No no, it's not like that..." I say, then stop.  I don't believe him.  The Dark Leader right now is Rin, not whoever this spirit is.  I've seen Rin with my own eyes.  There's no way-

"Stop that.  Want me to prove it?"

"Um... sure?" I say, my voice rising at the end to signal my uncertainty.  

"Okay.  Close your eyes, and focus very, very hard.  It will be harder to do this without your Necklace, but if you want to see the truth, you have to pretend.  Some fairy already gave this conversation a helping hand, so you need to do the rest."

"I've never used a Necklace before," I point out, but close my eyes anyway.  "See the truth," Rin said.  See... I'll try.  I channel my inner focus, much like how Layra has taught me to do up to this point.  I try to conjure up some sort of image in my head, putting my power into my eyes.  

"Okay, Ash, open your eyes."

I blink them open, and almost yelp at the blurry image of a boy in front of me.  His hair is short and spiky, showing off a light blonde colour- almost white.  His skin is almost as pale as his hair, and he sports a long black suit with a white tie.  His suitcoat is black with gold stripes, and his high black boots have gold trim around the edges.  He looks my age, but I can tell that he's much older than that.  It's funny though, the only thing that differentiates him from the Rin I know is his eyes- his eyes are golden brown while Rin's are purple.

The realization dawns on me.

"He's not Rin, is he," I whisper.

The spirit shakes his head, creating a ripple in the air as he does so.  "No, he's not.  I'll explain everything to you, Ash.  Thank you for trusting me."

"Oh, um, no problem," I blurt out, suddenly feeling sheepish.

"Sit down," Rin says, gesturing to the dewy grass beside him.  "This will be a lot to process."

I do what he says, waiting for him to tell his tale.

"So, how much do you know about the Necklaces?" he asks, beginning with the question.

I think for a moment.  "Not much," I admit.  "All I really know for certain is that they allow fairies to communicate with the spirits that reside inside of them."

"Yes, that much is true," Rin adds.  "The Necklaces function to connect the wearer's soul to the spirit world, which gives them spiritual power along with their magic abilities.  It also gives the spirits an option to stop a fairy if they are abusing their power for selfish reasons, or if they were to be deemed unworthy of being a fairy."

This peaks my interest.  "Really?  How?"

"There are millions of Elementals in the world.  Only a small handful of them ever make it to the fairy world.  The Legendary Pokemon choose which people will enter.  However, even they make mistakes sometimes.  If a person becomes tainted, then when they first bond with the Necklaces the spirits have the option to take over.  It can happen any time after the bonding process, if a fairy can no longer fill their position but will not leave on command."