Chapter 29: Rite of Loyalty

Hi everyone!!  SK here.

First off I want to wish everyone a Happy Amourshipping Day!!  I wasn't planning on updating today but I really wanted to get a chapter out.  I mean come on, it's Amour day.  This is the last one before the Gen 8 anime starts... hopefully we'll be seeing our favourite Pokegirl in Galar!!

Anyway let's start the chapter.  I hope you enjoy it! ^w^

Ash

The mood is solemn as Drago leads me back to the Dark's colony.  As we walk, my thoughts remain restless.  I couldn't have killed Gladion.  Right?  

My thoughts churn as I think about the situation that I walked away from.  It was only me and Gladion there, no one else was present.  After the flash, my hands were warm, radiating with the energy I could only associate with fairy magic.  I was even holding the bloody knife, which is probably still dripping with fresh crimson.  I didn't intend to fire off a spell, but I was barely trained in fairy magic.  Maybe this was just my magic acting out, but that doesn't matter.  I've figured out the truth.

I killed someone.

I see Drago's eyes flit towards me.  He seems to know what I'm thinking, and he slightly nods his head.

We enter the Colony and I'm greeted with Layra slowly walking up to me.  Her cool and cold composure is turned on again, and she regards Drago coldly.  "Why was he out?"

"I don't know," he retaliates.  "Maybe for the same reason you were out."

She flinches, only slightly.  "I have to go out sometimes," she points out.  "I-" she stops when she sees the blood covering my clothes.  "Rin," she says slowly.  "What happened here?"

He shoves me roughly forward, and I don't do anything to fight back.  "Gladion is dead," he hisses.  "And it's because of this insolent fairy."

Layra stares at me in shock but I don't say a word. 

"We should do his trial now," Drago orders.  "Tell him he has twenty minutes."  

Drago leaves and Layra turns to me, worry clearly evident in her movements.  "Ash," she whispers, "What happened?  You didn't kill Gladion, did you?"

"I... I don't know," I say, trembling slightly.  

She clearly realizes the trauma I've been through and leads me to her chambers.  She sits me down on her bed and uses her magic to clean the blood off my clothes.  "Ash," she starts slowly, "I want you to tell me everything that has happened."

I wince.  The scene is still very fresh for me.  "I..." my voice trails away.

I can see her face harden when she speaks.  "Don't make me do this."

Confusion wafts through me.  "Do what?"

Layra's eyes shine a bright violet colour, and I know that she's using her power to read my soul.  I begin to feel slightly dizzy, but she soon stops.  She takes a deep breath, then speaks.  

"Ash, that wasn't you.  That wasn't your fault," she explains to me.  "It was R-"

"Drago," I say.  "I figured it out."

She looks taken back and even a little impressed when she continues.  "I see.  Well, Drago framed you.  That wasn't you killing him, it was him."

"But why would he do that!?" I object.  "He has no motive!"

"You didn't have one either," she reminds me.

I sigh frustratedly.  "Layra, I'm not trained in magic very well.  I haven't mastered it yet.  Maybe it was just acting out."