Chapter 30: The Troublesome Trial

Hi everyone!!  SK here.

First off I want to apologize for the late update.  You'll probably be seeing this message a lot for the next couple months because with Christmas and exams coming up it's going to be a busy time for me.  Thank you all so much for understanding!!

Anyway this chapter is going to be intense- that's why I went for the triple alliteration in the title, lol.

As always, enjoy!! :)

Serena

We begin to leave the colony, and as soon as we do, Layra instantly becomes ten times more talkative.  It's like she's a different person.  She quickly fills me in one the situation, and how Ash is starting to believe in his guilt.  That makes me more determined than ever to get him out of this situation- there is absolutely no way that the Ash I know would kill someone!

"It's so sad, seeing Ash discouraged this way," Layra murmurs to herself.  I instantly feel myself get a little bit annoyed about how much she cares about him.  However, the Minister seems to notice and winks at me.  "Don't worry," she says in a knowing tone.  "I'm not here to steal your man.  I've got one of my own, thanks."

I feel my cheek flush and become the shade of the most radiant ruby rose.

Trying to shake the blush away, I hone in on her last statement.  "A man of your own?  I think I know who it is-"

Layra tosses me a piercing look and I am quick to defend myself.  "Don't worry, I won't tell a single soul.  I promise.  I hope you liked his drawing though, he did put a lot of effort into it."

She smiles slightly.  "I have an enormous collection of his drawings," she admits to me.  "I should show you, someday.  You can really see how he changes throughout the centuries through his art.  It's like having a little piece of him with me." Her eyes light up, and I realize that she loves him the same way I love Ash.  Unconditionally, immortally, beautifully.  

"Now's not the time for that, though," she adds instantly, throwing me a look as she regains her composure.  "As soon as you go through this portal, you're not just seen as an enemy because you're the Light Fairy Leader, but because you're on Ash's defense.  Don't let their thoughts affect you, and keep the light in your heart.  You're going to need it to fight R-"

"I know," I say simply.  "Ash explained it to me."

She looks surprised, then the look goes away after a second.  I guess she's used to Ash's nature by now.  "I see.  Well, you're going to need that light to fight Drago's power.  I think you already know that Kalos has been destroyed, and this is only the beginning of his plan.  But really, for him to succeed he needs to eliminate you, and every Light Leader that comes after you.  Serena, stand tall.  You've got this."  She opens the portal, the light almost blinding us as she holds her hand out to me.  The light bends around the darkness of her wings, it's quite fascinating.  

"Are you ready?" she asks.

I take her hand, smiling a little.  "You're really good at pep talks, you know."

She laughs.  "Well, I've had billions of years to practice."

We step through together, and end up at the entrance of the Dark Fairy Colony.  The last time I came here was... a long time ago.  Leaders are required to meet the other at least once, so when I first became a fairy Heliux brought me here.  We didn't stay for long though, we could tell that we weren't welcome.  My determination grows stronger.  Today, it doesn't matter how hostile the environment is.  I will stay here until Ash is free.