Chapter 23: Dual Bond

Hi everyone!!  SK here.

School has started for me and uuuuuuggghhhhh I am once again reminded how much work I get.  Don't worry, since this book is the only one I have ongoing right now, I'll try to keep up with consistent updates.  I might be publishing more pretty soon though.  September is very busy (I have a lot of birthday celebrations going on, one of them being mine!!), so updates MIGHT be delayed... so sorry in advance.

Anyway, let's begin!!  As always, I hope you enjoy it. :)

Ash

I wake up feeling refreshed, so I get out of bed and stretch.  I'm immediately greeted by the sight of Pikachu and Greninja still sleeping.  I smile, as honestly I'm so glad that I can see them again, even if they're both in Mist form.  I vaguely recall the events of the previous night, where Layra showed me the devastating events of the Balance Ritual, but I shake the morbid feeling away.  That's all it was, I tell myself.  An accident.  They let the imbalance get to far.  We won't let that happen this time.  

I exit my room, viewing the emptiness of this Colony.  It still confuses me when I don't see smiles or hear laughter, or watch the Colony be full of bustling activity like in the Light's one.  This place is always eerily silent... 

Suddenly, out of the corner of my eye, I see Rin.  I instantly hide, straining to hear what he is whispering to himself about, but at the same time trying to remain unnoticed.

"Soon, Rin, you can have yourself back, once I destroy the balance.  The world will finally be free from those wretched Lights and that wretched Minister who caused this whole thing in the first place.  There will be no need for balance any longer.  And to think, you will be the cause of this gorgeous era."  Okay I know Rin is weird, but I've never heard him refer to himself in the third person...

Suddenly, I hear another voice.  It's as quiet as a breath in the air, but I hear it.

"Let me challenge you again."

Rin laughs.  "No, why would I?  Rules are rules- oh.  Why, hello Ash!" he says cheerfully.  

My heart skips a beat, and I slowly come out into the open to face him.  "H-Hello, sir."

He flings his arm around me like we are the best of friends or something like that.  "Ash, my boy!  It's been a while since I spoke with you."

Yeah cause the last time was when I almost died at your hands.

"How's your training going?" he asks casually.

"It's... been going okay," I tell him.  "I can create little things with my magic, and I summoned my Mist Pokemon too."  I hope he has no idea how hard I'm trying to hide my nervousness.

"Ah, outstanding!" he exclaims.  "So, I suppose that you will be learning your special powers today, yes?"

I'm confused.  "Special powers...?"

He sighs.  "Oh, how disappointing.  It seems Layra didn't tell you everything, did she?  Well, allow me to explain.  Fairies with two bonded Pokemon have a deeper soul connection with them.  As a result, you might be able to summon some of your Pokemon's attacks.  It might be able to help with that bond phenomenon of yours," he adds with a cheeky grin on his face.

My confusion only grows.  "How do you know about that?  It was only discovered recently..."

He takes his arm off of me.  "I have my sources... but let's just say that you're quite popular among Legendary Pokemon," he says.  "Now, I must be off.  I look forward to hearing how your training is coming along at the end of today!"