Chapter 3

"What are you doing here, honey?"

"I just want to give you company while you cook"

"But you should rest on your bed" She began to nag as she continued with her cooking. It was around seven at night and I couldn't wait for dinner.

"Mum, it's just my ankle," I objected playfully. "Besides, I got really bored in my room"

"Wait until your dad comes home"

"Why you have to bring dad into this?" I whined as I placed my elbows on the dining table, resting my chin on my palms.

"Because you only listen to your dad!"

"That's not true!"

"I can't wait for him to scold you, Rosé. You should hear his voice when I called him"

"Why did you call him? He's at work mum,"

I heard mum approaching the table and she placed a plate of spaghetti in front of me. I couldn't help to taste it since the smell was like heaven.

"Because he needs to know what happened to his hard headed daughter"

I let out a loud sigh.

"I'm sorry, I know it's my fault. That will not happen again"

"I'm not buying it, honey. What if Melissa wasn't there?"

Melissa. Just by hearing that name made me smile instantly. I could have asked the same question too, mum. What would I do if she wasn't there?

But that wasn't the real issue. What if I didn't fall at the first place? What if my first time walking to school alone went well? Would she stop for me? I guessed not.

It was because of the fall that gave me that opportunity. She stopped the car for me where she could have just sat down and went to school like other rich kids. But she walked with me as if she wasn't from the elite family. She held my arm until we reached the class as if we were a couple. Oh wait! What did I just think of?!

To be honest, I was so grateful that I slipped. I wanted to thank God for driving me to that hole. I didn't mind about the pain since I got three days of medical leave for recovery, that should be good.

The only drawback was I would need to stay at home for three days and I couldn't hear Melissa in class anymore. Plus, I had some tests coming up on the following week and being absent from class during that time wouldn't be great for my result.

"Rosé!" I was taken by surprise when mum called me out. "Are you even listening to me?"

I shook my head with a grin on my face. God knew how long she had been nagging at me but my mind was occupied with Melissa.

"I am listening to you mum. I was just thinking about your question just now. About Melissa"

"Yeah, you better think about that very deeply if you decide to walk alone again. You were just lucky she happened to pass by this morning"

I nodded, showing her that no one could have told it better. Mum was right about me being lucky. It was because I had been walking to school for years and Melissa never stopped before, ever.

I started to think why she never stopped. Was it because I never walked alone? I was always with mum anyway and that could be the reason why she hesitated to stop and talk to me.

Well, she kind of talked to me at school all this while but not really talked, if that would make any sense?

Melissa wasn't a talkative person. The walk to school we had together in the morning was actually the longest conversation I ever had with her. Before that incident she would just hold the class door for me and say 'after you'. That was how I caught her scent because sometimes she would wait for me to leave the class first so she could hold the door for me.