Chapter 12

I walked to school alone that morning. When I was about to leave, mum was there in the kitchen, preparing breakfast but she didn't say anything and neither did I. There was no invitation for breakfast, no lunch box. There was nothing familiar with the morning routine I usually got. She even let me went to school by myself. There wasn't even a single word came out from her mouth when I opened the front door.

Did I hurt you that much?

So I just left my house with a weight in my chest. It was almost similar to the one I felt whenever I was upset with Melissa, but the uneasiness was way different. Every time I had a hard time with Melissa, I knew it would be over soon and no scar left, yet. But the one I was feeling with mum, I felt like it would stay between us forever, and it scarred both of us especially mum. It wouldn't matter if I apologised to her and she forgave me because things wouldn't be the same anymore. That was how it felt and I hated it.

The worst part was, I had examination on that day and I couldn't stop thinking about what had happened between mum and I. If only I didn't open the door, mum wouldn't have seen anything on me like she claimed. The things she saw upset her and I didn't even know what they were.

All I knew was they gave away about me and Melissa.

I arrived at my locker to take a few things for my papers later, opening the door and touching my stuff. I still had 20 minutes before the examination started since I left home early because I didn't have my breakfast. Did mum really let me go to school without breakfast? I began to think if she would ignore me for days because now she already capabled of doing it. She never got mad at me like that. Unlike dad, he wouldn't hesitate to just yell at me.

But mum didn't do yelling or ignoring. We would always settle things down. She did wait for the right time to sit together and discuss but she never ignored in a meantime. I was so disturbed by these thoughts until I forgot why I was at my locker at the first place. I even forgot what I wanted to take with me to the examination room.

It was until I felt a soft touch came from behind, wrapping itself around my neck so swiftly as my favourite scent started to enter my nose.

"Baby...?" Melissa whispered, giving me goosebumps by her warm breath against my right ear.

"Hi Lisa" I greeted her with a weak smile that she couldn't even see from that position.

"I didn't expect to see you this early"

"Is it a bad thing?"

"No! No no of course not," She replied and I let out small chuckles. She would repeat that 'no' word so many times whenever she felt like she had offended me or something. That was just how Melissa's mind worked in a form of speech each time she got a minor panic attack. "I was thinking about you and suddenly I saw you here" She continued to explain herself, which I found cute. "Just a shot into my heart at the right time, that's all"

I grinned from her reaction and I remembered back what I was looking for in the locker. But Melissa tightened her arm around my neck, slightly pulling me away from the metal compartment and kissing my ear softly down to my cheek.

"Lisa, is anybody looking at us?"

"No, they already gotten used of seeing us hugging at the locker"

"But you are kissing me,"

"Nobody is looking at us, Roseanne"

"Lisa, you are not even looking" I said as I nudged her playfully.

"Why do I need to look at other people when I can look at you?"

"Lisa!" I nudged her for real this time and she groaned when my elbow reached her stomach. "Stop teasing me would you?"