Chapter 14

"Are you aware of the consequences, Ms. Maas?"

"Yes"

Melissa answered him shortly while brushing her thumb against my skin. Her grip was soft and tender as usual, intertwining our fingers together so casually as if we were in class instead of in the Principal's office. How could she be so calm?

Me on the other hand was feeling so anxious, sitting beside her after giving out my statements of what happened.

"So I guess I don't need to brief you about the details,"

"Certainly, Mr. Principal"

"So..." He cleared his throat to start. "After taking statements from you, Ms. Pearce and Ms. Lee earlier, we have three issues to my concern"

Melissa sighed and shifted her position on the chair, probably straightening her back to give her full attention. She shook my hand that was in hers, gesturing that I should be paying attention too. I guessed she already knew that my brain wasn't even there since I was so worried about her getting expelled from the school.

"First of all, Ms. Lee and the other four deny everything"

That was when I felt she tightened her grip on me.

"They what?" She began to question as her tone changed instantly, indicating her objection in trusting what she just heard.

"Ms. Lee's statements are," I heard the sound of papers being flipped. He was probably referring to the written report that was taken from the person who was responsible to what had happened to me. "She was just talking to Ms. Pearce and you came to give her a punch in the face"

I almost gasped when I heard that as my eyes gone wider. Melissa's hold was getting stronger, sending discomfort to my hand as I could feel her anger at the same time.

"There's no such thing, Mr. Principal" She started to argue while her voice went deeper than normal. "Nobody would just talk to Ms. Pearce here except me,"

"That's what I have been told-"

"And I just punched her with what reason?"

"Jealousy,"

A small laugh escaped from Melissa's mouth but it didn't sound genuine at all. There were annoyance and disbelief within her tone, making me feel bad for her while she was fighting to stand for her truth; me.

"Is she serious with that statement?"

"Yes, Ms. Maas. It's not like I am unaware of what is happening between you and Ms. Pearce" He replied back with a conceited way of talking. "I have received so many reports from other students about you two. I was planning to call you and Ms. Pearce in after the examination week,"

Melissa was silent for seconds, loosening her grip when she finally sensed my discomfort for her holding me too tight.

"And what are the other issues?"

"I can't take your statements and Ms. Pearce's against Ms. Lee because there is no witness to justify it"

"No witness?!" She shot her voice up all of the sudden, causing me to flinch a little. "There were more than ten students there at that time!"

"And not even one comes in to be a witness for Ms. Pearce"

I lowered my head, thinking about how bad this situation was going. At first, I couldn't defend myself. Then Melissa came for me, putting herself in trouble in the Principal's office. Now nobody could save her since no student would give justification in my defence. So basically, my statements couldn't be used against that prick named Ms. Lee.