Chapter 4

Months had gone by since that incident. I could tell that my school life had gone much better. I was no longer afraid to eat my lunch and I could walk freely without thinking of getting hit by students that walked like they were blind.

But it didn't change the fact that Melissa was still distant from me. We never sat down for lunch together or even walked to class. She was still the same Melissa; quiet and only responsive during class.

Sometimes I would feel a touch, squeezing my shoulder as tender as possible whenever I read at the library. It was a quick one like a touch and go. It was from her.

I knew it was her when I smelled her scent, walking behind me just to plant the touch. But she never stopped to have a conversation with me, as expected. I had the urge to catch her when she did that to me again the next time. I wanted to just pull her to sit down with me, probably doing some reading together. But wishing to do that was like asking something from Santa. I knew I didn't have the guts to since we were at school.

I remembered dad's warnings since Melissa came to my house; even though she was nice to me, never took advantage of it. She was a daughter of a person my dad worked for, who paid for my school to be exact. He told me to never forget who she was and always respect her. That was why I never crossed the line or acted casual with her at school. If she wanted it, she would come to me just like she did at my house.

I guessed I didn't need to initiate anything, afraid that my approach would make her uncomfortable or anything. Creating an awkward atmosphere between me and her was the last thing I would want to do, so I decided not to make any move.

I entered the class as usual, swinging my white stick in front of me to avoid hitting any table on the way. I could tell the class was almost full; the heat and noises signalling my senses. I smiled a little, imagining Melissa who was probably on her seat already. She came to school by car, of course she would arrive at class earlier than me.

Stopping my steps, I folded my walking stick when I reached a familiar spot; my usual table. But as I was about to take the bag off my shoulder, I heard a rough voice coming from a very close distance.

"The seat is taken"

My mouth parted slightly as I was surprised and lost my words.

"Move" She ordered and I felt a hard pressure on my stomach that sent me away from where I was standing.

I shook the surprise by that sudden push, clearing my throat and getting myself together. After taking a deep breath, I finally spoke.

"Are there any empty table left at the front row for me to take?"

"Find it yourself!"

She yelled at me out of the blue, sending a weird vibe to my brain. I didn't do anything to her, I just came to class as usual. It was me who supposed to be yelling as my seat was taken.

I knew all the eyes were already on me since I heard booing in the crowd. That yelling from her drew the unnecessary attention and I was getting embarrassed. Great! That was just great. Just when I began to believe my day would be just fine, the universe gave me shit, again.

"What seems to be the problem?"

Another voice came in between the booing and the crowd went silent automatically. I felt some sort of relief since I knew whose voice was that; it was Melissa's. Her footsteps came second, sounding quick as they stepped down the stairs to come to my spot.

I turned around to the direction of the noise she made, bowing immediately when her perfume stabbed hard into my nose.

"Ms. Pearce..." She greeted me without me managing to do it first but what was with Ms. Pearce? Melissa never addressed me like that before.