Chapter 18 - INTERMISSION

I stepped into the bathtub carefully, holding its frame with both of my hands as I was going down. I sighed in relief when I was finally sitting at the bottom of the tub with the water at my chest level.

I was being extra careful this morning because I didn't want to hurt myself. I knew how clumsy I was, and also because this bathtub wasn't mine. My bathtub at home wasn't this big. You could fit two people in here! I wondered how much it cost!

It was 7:30am and I was having a hot bath. Who on earth took a bath in the morning? Just me I guessed.

I started to clean my body, brushing my skin with my favourite Patrick Star designed bath sponge that I brought from home. At least that was what mum told me about its look before I bought it. This hotel did provide their shower amenities but I liked to use mine, since I brought them with me already. So I preferred using them as they did take the weight of my check-in baggage allowance on flight.

I continued my morning routine until brushing my hair was the only thing left to do. I already had everything on me I guessed; blue blouse with tight jeans, chosen by mum.

Then I heard soft knocks on the bathroom door.

"Honey?"

"Yes mum?"

"Everything's okay in there?"

"Yeah, just-" I sighed as I put the comb on the sink cabinet. "I just don't know how I look"

"You can ask me, Rosé"

I turned around, walking very carefully with my hands at front to feel the wall. It was so hard to move in this small room that I was unfamiliar with, and suddenly it felt so big. Unlocking the door, I opened it to permit my mum to enter.

"How do I look?"

I let out that question for the first time. I never cared about my appearance before. I never even asked anyone about my looks. But that day was an important day for me, so I thought I needed to look presentable, at least.

"You look beautiful, honey"

I could tell that she was smiling at me. If only I could see it, I would remember it for my whole life.

"Do I really?"

"Of course you are," I heard her walk and stayed behind me, starting to comb my hair softly. "People fall for your words, Rosé. Not your looks"

I smiled as soon as she said that. That was the best compliment I had ever received, and it came from my mum's mouth.

"It's your mind and soul that you need to take care of"

"Mum?" I called for her. "Thank you, for everything" I lowered my head, tugging at the hem of my own blouse. "I couldn't have done this without you"

"I will do anything for you, honey. You know that"

I nodded, thinking that I had the best mother in the world despite of the endless fights we would always involve in especially when she was being overprotective towards me, again. She had helped me a lot in all terms, in all perspectives. All I got to do was to open my heart for her, and I was glad that I did.

"Is the taxi here yet?"

I changed the subject to avoid myself from crying. The feelings I was keeping inside me were just overwhelming, knowing that I couldn't hold them any much longer.

"Maybe not. The receptionist will give us a call later"

"Okay" I responded with a smile plastered on my mouth, receiving a sweet kiss on the cheek from mum.