Chapter 19 - INTERMISSION

I was sitting on a chair, together with the others. I had one hand on my left temple, massaging my head as my leg was tapping on the floor. I was so nervous now that I felt like I just wanted to go home. But I couldn't do that for sure since I was in the middle of something that was very important.

"Ladies and gentlemen, welcome to the 21st Houghton Mifflin Book Festival!"

I heard the MC so vividly, and so did the screams that came from front as I was at the backstage. My palms were getting sweaty and the headache I just got really made the entire process worse.

"...up to 80% off for selected books!"

I was nervous not because I was surrounded by people. I was nervous not because I was attending an event that probably had more than 5 thousands people.

But I was nervous because this was going to be the first time ever for them to see me. This was the first time for me to do a face reveal to the public. And this was going to be the first time for people to meet a girl behind the Australia's best seller book.

"As you all already know, we have special guests today..."

Another scream entered my ears, shutting my eyes tightly. My heart beat faster while my mouth started to sing a song in a low volume of course. It helped to ease my own fear a little bit.

But my singing was interrupted when I felt a soft touch on my knee.

"Are you okay, Rosé?"

"I'm nervous" I told her straight away. I didn't even try to stay put because I really couldn't. I was so anxious and I would definitely show it.

"New York Times Bestselling Author, our beloved Alexandria McKay!"

I removed my hand from my temple, clapping along with the crowd when I heard that name. She was one of my idols and I couldn't believe I would be one of the guest authors for this year's book festival with her. Alexandria McKay was among Houghton Mifflin's 'best products'. She had been under the company for almost 20 years already with 9 books published in total. And 5 out of the 9 were New York Times Bestsellers! It was just so impressive! Her performance and book sales in the entire Australia were spectacular until Houghton Mifflin marketed her books to the US. It was a good decision because not even one of her books was a flop. The company really made money from her.

I heard the talk that she was the favourite among all authors. Since she had a big name and reputation in the company, Mr. Wilson really took care of her needs. Jisoo told me that Alexandria McKay could put anything she wanted in the contracts; car, house, maids, anything each time she walked in the Publisher's office with a new manuscript. She could actually ask?!

It was my dream to be as successful as her, but I still had years to go to reach her level. I only had been with Houghton Mifflin for almost two years now, my first anniversary with the company was 6 months ago. But there was no rules in setting dreams and hopes. I could always work hard for them.

"Rosé!" Jisoo slapped my thigh, causing me to startle. "Are you listening to me?"

"Sorry I was just-"

"Focus on me," Jisoo tried to calm me, stroking at the place she just slapped earlier. "You will be fine"

"And lastly, I guess you already know..." The MC teased and I could hear the crowd screamed even louder.

I exhaled loudly as I held Jisoo's hand that was on my lap, still closing my eyes.

"You think they will like me, Jisoo?"