Chapter 25 - the "Lisa"

I couldn't react at all

I couldn't react at all. Her voice and the way she said my name were all I needed to convince myself even more that I had made the right decision. Her voice was so beautiful as it soothed and made me shiver at the same time. Her soft tone was like the icing on a cake, making it sound creamy and sweet than it already was.

She slowly loosened her grip on the red pass, and I pulled it in sync with her movement to take the card back. I didn't want her to let go actually. I felt like telling her to keep holding it so I could have her skin longer. But not even a word managed to come out from my mouth no matter how hard I tried.

"It's nice to see you again," She began to talk now as her words rhymed with the way she spoke; attractive.

The tears were provoking me and I guessed that was the reason why I couldn't talk yet. It was because I was holding myself from crying. There was heaviness at the back of my throat as my whole mouth ached, trembling as if that was the first time I would cry because of her. There was nothing new in the crying battle I was about to face. I had been crying because of Melissa so many times before. I cried for years without her. My emotions and body were supposed to get used of the sadness already, that was what I thought at first. But they didn't.

When she teased me with the red pass, all the strength I had collected for 10 years, just gone. I turned so weak that I felt like fainting.

Melissa finally made a move with her heels. She was walking away from me, probably because she could sense how anxious I was when she was standing that close to me. So maybe she was trying to give me some space to recollect myself and be calm.

"How was the flight?"

She continued to initiate a conversation, probably hoping I would reply her when she was already at an appropriate distance from me. She wasn't that far though based on the sound of her heels. She could be at her desk since I started to hear the noises she made; opening and closing files, flipping papers in between.

I didn't want her to create distance. I wasn't nervous because she was too close. I felt that way because that was what I wanted. I wanted her to be close to me. I wanted her to pull me into her arms like friends would do when they hadn't seen each other for so long. I wanted to feel her in my hands, so the familiarity would be embedded.

"I hope you had a pleasant one?"

It was more than pleasant. The journey was like I had my bed at home with me. That was how comfortable business class was.

"And I'm so sorry I couldn't pick you at the airport"

I lowered my head, swallowing my throat for couple of times while the heaviness started to subside. I was getting more comfortable and I thought I would talk soon. My heartbeat was going steady like normal and my body was less shaky.

But Melissa continued to talk, making me nervous all over again in just a snap of a finger.

"As far as I remember," She said after clearing her throat, and her voice went deeper. "You were just blind"