Chapter 8

Dad sent me to school today since he was suspended from work, so I didn't have to walk. But going to school had never been this hard before and it was because I knew Melissa wasn't going to be there. I couldn't really sleep at night thinking about it, and also about her in general and I kept on waking up in the middle of the night.

I walked through the gate after dad dropped me, heading to the locker area as usual. Melissa's locker was about ten steps away from mine and walking past it made me miss her even more. I intentionally reached my hand out until it touched the metal compartment, just to grasp the feel of something that belonged to her.

Melissa had some decorations on her locker door. She loved to have them to make it look more appealing as she said. She also got new ones; thin flat magnetic decorations that she custom made and gave one to me.

Me on the other hand didn't really like the idea of decorating my locker door. Well, I couldn't see anyway so I didn't really bother about it. I didn't even decorate my own face, let alone a locker. But Melissa was Melissa, she always succeeded in convincing me. So I got one on my locker door, and she had another one on hers. She was so proud of it because she said it was like a thing couple would do.

I took my time to really feel the magnet, mapping its shape. Melissa never told me what it was and I failed to recognise it also just by touching. All I could feel was it had some sharp dots on it and it was different than the one she got for me. Mine was just a smooth surface type. But still, it brought a smile to my face since it was from her.

As I walked towards the class, I heard a familiar voice chatting with the others. I didn't like to do this but I thought I had to. It seemed like I didn't have any other choice anyway. So I walked towards that voice, stopping at the right distance when the voices stopped. That was how I knew I was close enough for them to notice my existence there.

"Ms. Kaltz?" I greeted as I bowed to her. "Can I talk to you for a second?"

She was silent for a while, probably surprised by my approach since I never stopped and talk to anyone before, except for Melissa.

"You guys go to the class first, I'll catch up later" I heard her giving orders probably to her friends.

By that, we both were left alone as those footsteps subsided.

"What do you want, loser?" She asked after she took few steps closer to me.

I brought my head down, letting her know that I didn't mean any harm. I would never attack her like she did to me previously. So I was kind of hoping she would be nice to me this time.

"I need your help"

I didn't know what amused her so much in my sentence, but it definitely caused her to laugh.

"Where's your generous princess? Isn't she the one who always helps unfortunate people like you? The so called a heart of gold" Jennie huffed.

I wondered if that had became an official title for Melissa now after the press conference? But why did the Kaltz girl make fun of it?

"She left you already, isn't she?"

"No, no. It's not like that," I tried to correct her because she totally got a wrong idea of me coming to her. "I just need to borrow your lesson notes for today, or maybe tomorrow too. Lisa can't come to school" I explained. "I just need to photocopy them so Lisa won't miss anything"

"Wow" She sighed like it was the most impressive thing she had ever heard. "Do you seriously love her that much?"

I knew where this conversation was going, so I tried to avoid it. I didn't know her. All I knew was she used to have fun time together with Melissa and I didn't need to know the details. She wasn't a kind of person that I would want to talk about feelings with either, so I stuck to the original plan.