Chapter 1: A fated meeting

A pudgy, bookish boy with glasses was pretty much as easy a target as it got for these rich private school brats.

Namjoon had tried to tell on the kids bullying him to teachers, like he had been told to do.

He was that kind of good little boy back then.

Unfortunately, one of the boys picking on him ended being the precious son of a very important politician and although all the student of the establishment came from fortunate background, Namjoon's family of lawyers wasn't nearly as powerful.

The teachers were unsurprisingly hesitant to get on the bad side of the bully's family, so Namjoon was advised to ignore his tormentors until they left him alone.

Needless to say that didn't work.

It lasted a couple of years and the already reserved boy grew more and more aloof, only finding refuge and comfort in books. With his mother's death and his always distant father, he really didn't have a friend in the world and it didn't look like it was ever going to change.

Namjoon had mastered the art of going unnoticed to try and avoid his tormenter's cruel jokes and so he went to spend the recess in his usual spot, sitting on the ground, hidden behind the angle of the trash bin so the boys playing soccer couldn't see him.

He was reading, Damian, his late mother's favourite book for maybe the tenth time when a shadow was cast over him and the book got ripped out of his hands.

''Did you make a new friend!'' the bully exclaimed while pointing to the trash container. ''It makes sense for trash to belong together!'' the boy said before aiming the book towards the bin.

''No! Please! That book isn't mine!'' Namjoon pleaded getting up in an attempt to get his book back.

By that time the boy's other friends had showed up.

''You mean this book?'' the bully said with a wicked smile before tearing off a handful of pages.

''Nooo!'' Namjoon yelled as one of the boys pushed him down.

He looked, defenseless, as his mother's book was being torn to shreds and thrown into the bin. He tried to fight off the tears, but he quicky ended up sobbing as the kids mocked him.

Once the last bits of the book were discarded the leader leaned forward to grab Namjoon by the collar. ''Now there's just one last piece of trash left to throw out!'' the bully said before pulling Namjoon towards the bin.

The boy's friends laughed and started helping him immobilise Namjoon who was begging and flailing.

''Stop it please!'' he begged as the little group managed to lift him of the ground with the clear intent of throwing him in the trash.

Just as he was hovering above the bin, one of the boys let out a high pitch yell and Namjoon fell to the ground.

One of the boys was clenching the back of his head and a bloody stone, about the size of a grapefruit, rested on the ground behind him as a girl about their age came running.

''Did you crazy girl throw a rock at him!'' the leader said in a panic while his friend was holding his head and sobbing in pain.

''Leave he alone!'' the girl warned, a thick accent showing through her Korean, clearly it wasn't her mother tongue.

Namjoon was so shocked by the scene unfolding before him that he had stopped crying on the spot.

''Don't you know who my father is?'' the leader scoffed and came towards the girl before smacking her across the face.

In one sweep motion the girl grabbed hold of his extended arm, twisted it in his back and forced the bully onto the ground face first.

''If snitching, you get died!'' the girl threatened in less than mediocre Korean as the leader whimpered underneath her form the pressure she was putting on his arm.

''Please! Let me go! My arm's gonna break! I'm sorry! Let me go! I won't tell I swear!'' the bully pleaded in a high pitched squeal, his previous confidence completely dissipated.

As soon as the girl let go of his arm, The boy scrambled to his feet and darted away with his friends.

The girl's bottom lip was lightly split from the leader's smack and a line of blood was running on her chin. Her short black hair was escaping what might have once been a pony tail and her clothes were baggy and boyish; the total opposite of the well-groomed girls Namjoon was used to seeing at this fancy rich school.

She smiled down at Namjoon, her wide grin revealing a missing front tooth that somehow managed to make her look even scruffier, as she extended her hand down to him.

''No hurt?'' she said while helping the boy up.

Namjoon shook his head ''no'' while wiping his eyes.

''No cry now, me protect you. Me Mirai, what you name?'' the girl said in her ever so broken dialect.

Namjoon looked up at Mirai; her messy hair, her goofy smile, her dark piercing eyes and something clicked in him. Through his eyes, the tomboyish girl looked like an angel.

''Namjoon...'' he said in a shaky whimper.

''Na-Joon...'' Mirai repeated, in an attempt to memorise the name as she dug through her pocket to pull out a piece of black fabric covered with little cartoon foxes. ''Be friends?'' the girl asked, as she cutely handed Namjoon the handkerchief.

When a dimpled grin formed on his face, he was surprised he still remembered how to smile.

''Yeah, let's be friends!'' the boy replied while accepting her gift.

Namjoon's life had been nothing but darkness up to this point and that day he swore to himself that he would forever stay by Mirai's side.

Now that he had found her, he could never let go of his light.

***

Author's note:

Thank you so much for reading the first chapter of this story!

I'm pretty excited for this new adventure and I hope you'll enjoy reading it as much as I enjoyed writing it! This will be a fun ride for sure! :D

Don't let yourself be fooled by the light tone of this chapter, this story will go dark, very dark as the chapters progress... Fair warning, your feels are not safe in my hands! *CUE EVIL LAUGHTER*

If you have any question/suggestion/opinion feel free to comment, I love having input on my work!

Well.. That's about it! Stay tuned for the next chapter and have a great day!