Chapter 31: Breaking Point

When Namjoon got in the room and saw Mirai sitting at the desk, but staring blankly at the wall instead of writing he raised a curious brow.

''What are you doing, princess? Daydreaming?'' He said before leaning down close to her to kiss her on the cheek. Halfway through his movement Mirai stood up abruptly.

''That's no way to say hello to you fiancé. Sit back down and let's talk calmly. Are you feeling unwell?'' Namjoon said calmly.

In reply, Mirai started shaking and tears well up in her eyes. Seeing her cry was always Namjoon's weakness, despite her trying to push him away, he wrapped her in a hug and rubbed her back softly.

''Shhh.... Shhhh... you're safe, I'm here... What's going on? Tell oppa what's wrong, I'll make it all better...'' he cooed gently as Mirai cried against his shoulder.

''Namjoon-oppa... please... let me go...'' she said, he could see it in her eyes, she had reached her breaking point, he had pushed her far enough so he needed to back pedal a bit.

''My princess isn't feeling so good, is she? Don't worry... tomorrow we're both taking the day off and we'll go take a nice walk in the garden, that will make it all better you'll see...''

''Please Namjoon... I can't stay here... If you love me even a little you won't force me to stay here another second... I beg you...''

''Begging is useless Mirai, you know damn well I'm not letting you go... I love you more than anything, you should not that I'm doing all of this to protect you, princess...''

''Just kill me, then...'' she said, in a matter of fact tone.

Namjoon saw red.

Loosing Mirai was unthinkable.

Even more unthinkable was the thought that she would rather die than be his.

She felt the sting on her cheek before she even realised Namjoon's hand had moved. The man looked at his hand like it was a foreign object, just as surprised as Mirai by the blow.

She slowly raised a hand up to her red cheek and took a step back.

''You... hit me...''

''I didn't mean it...'' Namjoon said, his anger deflating into worry as he came closer to Mirai to inspect her cheek.

He didn't make it to her cheek because the girl's body reacted on its own and she kicked him straight in the crotch, blowing the air out of his lungs.

When Namjoon fell down on his knees from the pain of the blow, she pushed him to the ground and straddled him, wrapping her hands around his throat.

''Don't you ever put a fucking hand on me again!'' she yelled.

The fear that was paralysing her had vanished from her body. Hiccups and sobs were choking her, almost as much as she was currently trying to choke Namjoon.

He ripped her hands away from his throat and despite him holding her hands, the girl weakly tried to hit him.

Mirai couldn't even see properly through her tears, but she kept trying to hit Namjoon as he held her wrists firmly away from his face.

''Calm down! Mirai! Calm down!''

''I fucking hate you!'' she yelled through her crying.

Namjoon was still much stronger than her so her struggle was worthless and she was getting tired, but she didn't care, she couldn't stop fighting him however useless it was.

''That's enough!'' Namjoon tried to reason with her.

''I hate you!''

''It's alright, keep on hating me, but stop struggling you'll hurt yourself...'' Namjoon said as she was still wriggling in his hold.

''Don't tell me what to do!''

''Alright, that's it.'' Namjoon said sternly.

The next instant he was holding her against him as tightly as he could in a forcefull hug. Mirai kept on struggling as she cried against the man's chest, but she was weak from her effort.

''Shhh... calm down now... please don't cry... '' the man said soothingly.

Mirai answered him with louder sobs, but at least she stopped her struggle. She was crying like a wounded child, because that's how she felt.

Namjoon's slap didn't hurt that much physically, but it was probably the most pain she had ever felt.

This was is biggest betrayal so far.

''I'm sorry princess, I'm so sorry...'' Namjoon murmured over and over again, his voice shaky with emotion as he held the girl in a bone-crushing hug.

They were both lying on the floor, tangled in a desperate hug for a long moment before her sobs started to quiet down.

She hated him at that moment, but she also needed him, she had never felt this fragile, his comforting embrace was the only thing holding her together, she felt like she would physically crumble if he let her go.

Namjoon too needed to keep holding her, his guilt was so crushing that Mirai's warmth was the only thing keeping him sane at the moment. It felt like she would never get back into his arms again if he let her go, so he couldn't let this end.

''If I ever hit you again, I swear I'll let you kill me for it...''

''I swear I'll make you hold true to your word...''

There was an awkward moment of silence.

''You know what?'' Namjoon said.

''What?''

''You looked kinda hot chocking me...''

Mirai had a chuckle before erupting into laughter. It wasn't that funny and it was definitely not appropriate, but something with how tired she was and how tense the mood was just a second before made the stupid joke hilarious to her.

Her cute laugh made Namjoon laugh along and soon they felt almost right.

Almost.

***

Namjoon was sleeping soundly, almost like today's events had never happened.

But they did.

Her cheek stung, her heart was shattered and the illusion of Namjoon's love; gone.

With her father safely out of the country, Namjoon had no more weapons to use against her if she attempted something crazy.

And something crazy was exactly what she had in mind.

She was escaping this hellhole at once.

***

Author's note:

Yes, another cliffhanger; do you guys hate me yet? xD

Namjoon really went too far now and the time has come for Mirai to earn back her freedom...

What will she do? Will she succeed or will Namjoon catch her red handed again? What crazy stunt is she about to pull?

Thank you so much for reading and I hope to see you again next chapter! :3

Have a good day dearies! (Please don't hate me! xD)