Chapter 21: The Bold And The Bloody

Takahashi had disappeared back into the crowd, his ability not to catch attention despite his tall build was one of the things what made him a great asset to Mirai...

Namjoon soon came over to her, looking at bit dishevelled.

With a smile she took one of the champagne bottles on the buffet table in one hand and two glasses in the the other.

''Let me guess, you got scolded by your father-in-law?'' Mirai said while handing Namjoon the glasses.

''You could put it that way... To be honest I expected worst, your father is as composed as ever so he actually managed to hide his scolding in wise words of advice...'' Namjoon said before letting her pour them two glasses.

He immediately took a huge sip of his own glass.

Clearly the conversation had affected him in some way

''He always had a sweet spot for you because you were my first friend, clearly he wouldn't lash out at you...'' Mirai said in a tone she wanted comforting.

''No, he didn't like me that much. He only pretended to because I was dear to you, he made it well known that I wasn't welcome in your world...'' Namjoon said, after another irritated sip.

''What do you mean he made it well known, I didn't know...'' Mirai said, pouting at the thought of being kept in the dark.

''There are a lot of things you don't know about your father...'' Namjoon said only making Mirai more frustrated with his damn secrecy.

''If you're not willing to talk about it don't bring up the subject in the first place...'' she whined.

''The champagne isn't bad, I see you didn't get the cheap stuff for this party. Not a bad thing, but my men would have preferred some sake. It's a more appropriate drink for yakuza men in these types of formal events. Champagne is a foreign drink, they would prefer something Japanese.'' Mirai explained while tasting her drink.

''We're not in Japan, this is Korea and my own mansion, they'll drink what I serve them...''

''Look around, no one of my men have a glass in hand. You can serve them whatever you want, but don't expect them to drink it...'' Mirai said calmly.

''They aren't your men anymore...'' Namjoon corrected.

''And yet they still aren't yours... You won't win them over the same way you win over regular gangsters, they don't only care about wealth and power they also care about tradition and honor... If you don't respect their ways, they'll never respect you...'' Mirai explained.

''I know you're probably just criticising me, but somehow that almost sounded like words of advice. Reassure me, you're not actually trying to help me earn your men's respect, are you?'' Namjoon asked in disbelief.

''They have to be somebody's men. I guess I'd like them not kill each other before they find themselves a new leader... You're at least smart enough to keep them alive...'' Mirai said, only half lying.

''It's not much but it's still the best compliment you've given me since we got engaged... Let's drink to that!'' Namjoon said before lifting his glass up for Mirai to cheer with him.

As their glasses met, with a crystalline ''clink'' a man in his thirties came to their side and quite impolitely introduced himself.

When Mirai heard that his name was Japanese, she had to fight a smile from forming on her face. Takahashi really didn't lose any time finding an idiot to carry her plan through...