Chapter 20: Engagement Party (Part 3)

Namjoon pushed Mr. Kuromiya's chair to a quieter side of the room.

''I always thought you were smart despite being a wimp when you were younger. Turns out I was twice wrong. You're an idiot, but you've got some nerve.'' The old yakuza boss said, only half-jokingly.

''I'm glad I could surprise you...'' Namjoon replied calmly. He was ready for his father in law to insult him; it was to be expected due to the circumstances...

''It's a shame you chose to walk this path, I had high hopes for you back in the day, didn't you like law school?''

''I graduated with honors, after winning a couple of very lucrative cases I started my own business and became rich and powerful. Doesn't that sound like the kind of man you wanted to marry your daughter to?''

Mr. Kuromiya had a chuckle.

''Me? Marry my daughter? You know damn well Mirai doesn't take well to being told what to do, even by me...'' Mr. Kuromiya explained seemingly amused.

''I learned she was engaged before. She wouldn't marry for money, but the dude ended up dead, so I have to deduce she didn't get engaged out of love... If you didn't give her hand away to someone for business purposes, then why did she get engaged?''

''It's a bit ironic because, technically speaking; you're the one that made her first engagement possible... Let's just say that she was indebted to the man and so she had to agree to his proposal. Everything was going along as I had planned, but the man had a darker side that I hadn't managed to see. Needless to say, the bad sides of his personality didn't sit well with Mirai and the impending wedding became out of the question; so the idiot rushed himself to an early grave.'' The man explained calmly.

''So she really did kill him...''

''It's a matter of perspective... What is sure is that telling Mirai what to do is never a good idea. I'm afraid that rushing her to the aisle might turn out bloody, for all involved.'' The man warned.

''Things didn't have to turn out this way... If you didn't turn her against me, I wouldn't have had to do all of this... You tried to protect her but you're the one responsible for her going through all of this pain...''

''I put her through more pain than you can imagine and I'll never forgive myself for it... It's the reason why I'll give you these words of advice Kim Namjoon; don't try to change her into something she cannot be.

I thought I knew what would make Mirai happy, but I became the cause of her pain. Neither one of us know the truth of her heart. She was born with a wild spirit, it's useless to fight against her nature, the only thing you can do is embrace what she is. If you can't do that much, the both of you will be miserable for the rest of your lifes or at least until your untimely death...''

''I don't want to change her, I want to keep her safe...''

''I'd be less worried to see Mirai run into a burning building than to see live another day locked in this fancy house... ''

''You said it yourself, you have no idea what she really wants...'' Namjoon muttered angrily.

''Look at me in the eyes and tell me you believe she wouldn't chose putting a bullet though her head over living the rest of her life like this? You're using me as bait to maintain my daughter captive, but what do you think is going to happen when the old man that I am kicks the bucket? If you keep walking on this path this story can only end in blood...''

''I won't let it... I'll protect her, I'll protect her against everyone, I'll even protect her against herself...'' Namjoon spat, resolve burning in his eyes while Mr. Kuromiya sighed at his words.