Chapter 37: Out With A Bang

''Why did he even ask you to meet him? Couldn't you close that deal over the phone?'' Takahashi asked, annoyed at the traffic and the gloomy weather Mirai was making him drive through.

''He's probably as much of a pervert as Yvan... My guess is he just wants an opportunity to eye a pretty girl up... Fortunately for me; men don't negotiate as well when they're distracted by pretty girls.'' Mirai explained.

''Oh... So that's why you're only wearing half a dress under that raincoat...'' Takahashi said teasingly.

''I bet you he won't be able to make eye contact with me even once!'' Mirai exclaimed.

Takahashi laughed, but had a look of concern.

''If he really is like Yvan I won't let you get in there alone... He wants to strike a deal so I'm not afraid for your safety, but I wouldn't want him getting the wrong idea by seeing you all dolled up like this...''

''I wanted you to come anyways... I'm a bit nervous about this deal, he looks a lot like Yvan... I'm afraid seeing him will bring back some dark memories...''

''Everything will be fine, young lady, I'll be right next to you, as always.'' Takahashi said with a smile as they stopped at a red light.

The light turned green but the car in front of them didn't move. Mirai looked to the next lane to see if they could go around, but two cars were blocking both of their sides. This much traffic was surprising in such a recluse part of town and Mirai wasn't in the mood to arrive late.

''You should honk at him; we don't' have time to lo-'' Mirai started before being interrupted by Takahashi suddenly pushing her down on her seat.

Before she could wonder why her bodyguard had reacted, she heard bullets crash against the car's windows from both side. They were reinforced and technically bullet proofs, but the incessant impacts of the bullets was slowly making them crack and soon they started breaking apart in small explosions of glass shards.

Yvan's brother had betrayed her; his meeting was a trap.

A sharp pain shot through her side, tearing a yelp out of her.

''It's alright Mirai... I'm getting you out of here...'' She heard Takahashi say. She turned around to the body guard and saw that he had pulled a riffle out from under his seat.

She had the presence of mind to cover her ears before the man started shooting their attackers. Another bullet got lodged in her shoulder as the shots got more and more spaced out.

''The bastards from the two cars on our sides are down, but the people in the front and back are left...'' the bodyguard said in a chocked voice as he handed Mirai the riffle, his arms falling weakly to his sides.

A huge red stain was growing over his chest along multiples ones on his torso and arms. Mirai quickly took her jacket off to press it against his chest wound.

''Shit-shit-shit...'' she muttered in complete panic as the blood kept on pouring out of Takahashi's wounds.

''Focus... more of them are coming... It's too late for me...'' Takahashi said calmly, raising his bloody hand to gently caress her cheek as she was still struggling against his wound, her eyes tickling with tears.

''No. You saved me and now I'll save you... I'll save you... I'll...'' Mirai staggered, her words getting stuck in her throat.

''You... have to live... if you die here... my death was worthless... and my life too'' the man said, through painful breaths.

''Nobody is dying. You stay alive. You work for me, so you have to do as I say and I'm telling you to stay alive. Do you hear me? You swore you would always be by my side, you can't break your promise Takahashi...'' she begged, tears flooding her cheeks as she clung to Takahashi's wound with desperation, her hands already covered in his blood.

''You owe me your life... it's a matter of honor... you have to repay me... I want you... to kill these bastards... and I want you... to live... Promise me...Mirai...'' Takahashi said through wheezing breaths.

It hit Mirai like a slap to the face. Takahashi never asked for anything and he never called her by her name. In a single sentence he had broken his two rules; for the first and last time.

Takahashi was right. She was a yakuza woman; she had honor, she had to repay him for saving his life and at least try to avenge him.

''I promise!'' Mirai said through her sobs, letting go of her jacket against Takahashi's wound to shakily grab the riffle. ''I'll come back for you once I kill these fuckers...'' Mirai said, well aware that Takahashi would be gone by then, but unable to admit it out loud.

The man smiled softly as he was fighting to keep his eyes open.

Mirai winced from the pain in her side as she turned around to see the men quickly surrounding their vehicle. A pool of gas was gathering on Takahashi's side of the car, where a bullet had probably pierced the gas tank.

She was sitting on a land mine. The car could blow up any moment now; she had to get out, even if that meant walking straight in the enemy's aim. Takahashi had gotten rid of the driver in the car behind them, as Mirai could see the guy lying limp on the steering wheel.

Mirai took a deep breath and started shooting in the direction of the closest men she saw, the passengers that were getting out of the car behind their own. A bullet passed right next to her face, grazing her ear before she got the two unlucky guys.

She quickly jumped out of the car and took cover behind the open door.

She only had to worry about the people from the car in front of her now. The first one got out and she hit him in the chest before ducking under the door as his colleague ran out; vengeance in his eyes. If she poked her head up, he would get her for sure, but she had to aim somehow...

She quickly looked under the door and managed to shoot him in the calf. As he let out a yell of pain, she took the opportunity to get a clear shot at him.

The corpses of the men Takahashi has killed were littered all around her, the puddle of gas was meeting blood splatters and taking a rosy hue.

Mirai heard one last guy get out from the driver side of the car in front of her, she aimed for his legs, but the rifle was empty.

''Fuck...'' she muttered, looking around for something she could use as a weapon, but she found nothing. As the man was getting closer and she rummaged through her pockets and felt her lighter.

With the pain in her side and the blood dripping down her shoulder, she was in no shape to tackle anybody. But she couldn't let herself die, not before she had killed every single last one of the bastards who had taken a part in Takahashi's death.

She waited for the man to be right next to the car, then she lit up her lighter and ran away from her hiding spot, simultaneously throwing the lighter into the puddle of gas.

She bolted as fast as her body could carry her and the instant after, a deafening BANG ripped through the air. The shockwave of the explosion sent her flying through the air as fire licked her back.

I didn't get to say some cool last words or anything, it's a shame... Still I've got to admit dying in a fiery explosion is quite ironic for a girl with a phoenix tattooed on her back...Namjoon will probably find it quite poetic. No. Not Namjoon, my last thought won't be about Namjoon... Takahashi; I'll die thinking of you, Takahashi. Sorry I couldn't save you. Thank you for being there until the end, just like you promised, she thought before darkness engulfed her.

***