Chapter 8 : The Scheme

When a girl is unarmed, in enemy territory, she sometimes has to resort to the most desperate measures.

Over her silent dinner, she had enough time to scheme and decide of her next course of action, it was risky and classless, but she couldn't find another way out in such little time and without any resources.

Jungkook was the one escorting her back to her room. Hopefully, the young man was naïve enough to fall for her lame trick.

She faked laboured breathing as she climbed up the stairs and once at the top of the second flight, she stopped in her tracks and rubbed her forehead.

''Are you alright?'' Jungkook asked, seemingly bothered by her slow pace.

''Yeah... it's probably just this thing your friend shot me with yesterday... my head was fuzzy all day and now climbing all these stairs is making me a bit dizzy...'' Mirai said with a falsely weak voice.

Once the man was looking at her, she let herself fall limply towards him while closing her eyes.

As expected for a trained mafia man, Jungkook had good reflexes and he caught her before she hit the ground. ''Are you alright? Can you hear me? '' the man asked to the ''unconscious'' girl he was holding.

Mirai didn't buldge, barely believing her luck. Who knew that after all these years the fainting lady act was still just as efficient!

The man lifted the girl up into his arms, to carry her to her room. She clearly needed some rest.

''What the fuck is going on here?'' a familiar voice rang.

Mirai could feel Jungkook tense up at Namjoon's words.

''She fainted, I'm just taking her to her room to rest...'' the younger one started before Namjoon interrupted him abruptly.

''I told you to watch over her. You should have noticed she was feeling weak. What if she had fallen down the stairs and got hurt?'' Namjoon snapped angrily.

Mirai could hear Namjoon walking towards them and she struggled to keep her expression neutral as he scooped her from Jungkook's arms to old her aginst his chest, bridal style. At least he hadn't seen through her act.

''It's alright boss, I can carry her, you don't have to-''

''Your instructions were to watch her. I never gave you permission to touch her.'' Namjoon warned the man, his tone icy.

''I'm sorry boss... I didn't know...'' Jungkook replied, clearly surprised by Namjoon's reaction.

''Next time she shows any signs of fatigue or pain, you'll report it to me immediately, before acting recklessly on your own. Now, go get Jin to check up on her.'' The boss ordered before he started walking towards Mirai's room.

She felt herself being lowered into her bed and a blanket being carefully tucked over her. A hand started running gently through her hair.

If she overlooked the fact that that hand belonged to Namjoon, it almost felt good...

Scratch that; it felt nice anyway...

She heard steps come into her room.

''So what happened did she hit her head?'' a voice she didn't recognise asked, probably that Jin guy.

''No, she said she felt dizzy since the morning because of the drugs we used to put her to sleep.'' Jungkook explained.

''Yah... Hoseok's stuff is efficient in its own right, but it's no exact science so I'd say this is normal.'' Jin explained before a hand reached out to her forehead and her wrist was grabbed softly. ''No fever, normal pulse. She had just finished eating, so the effort of digesting on top of climbing the stairs probably just pushed her over her limit. I say she'll be fine after a good night of sleep.'' The man concluded.

Mirai thought she heard Namjoon sigh.

''Alright, get her some sleeping meds so she doesn't wake up in the middle of the night. I want the manor completely silent until sunrise and no one is to come in this room to bother her until she wakes.''Namjoon ordered.

It took Jin a minute or two to come back into the room and Mirai felt herself being helped into a sitting position. A small pill was pushed through her lips and she tucked it in the corner of her cheek before swallowing the sip of water she was being given.

She heard he men leave the room and once the door closed, she took the pill out of her mouth, grimacing at its chemical aftertaste.

She looked at the pill and decided to hide it in the pocket of one of the coats in her wardrobe. If her escape plan failed, she could always find a clever use for a sleeping pill...

She had the distraction she wanted; now nobody would come and bother her for a long while. It gave her all the time in the world to put her plan into action.

***

The next morning, Namjoon woke up thinking of Mirai. Did she still like green tea as much as she did back in the day?

Hopefully, she would still be all cute and sleepy from the meds if he came to visit her so early. The girl had a temper, but she wasn't a morning person, so chance were she would be too tired to refuse sharing a morning tea with him.

Perhaps she would even be sleeping; Namjoon found her so entrancing when she was asleep....

So Namjoon asked one of the maids to ready a nice kettle and some expensive green tea for him to bring. He managed to actually bring the tray all the way to the girl's room without making a mess, which was a miracle in itself, and with some ingenuity, he found a way to open the door by balancing the tray into only one hand.

He felt the change in temperature immediately and when he noticed the opened window he first wondered who he was going to kill for letting his fiancé sleep in the cold.

Then, as the kettle and cups crashed down onto the wooden floor with a deafening clatter, he realised.

The empty bed, the sheets tied into a makeshift rope, the opened window.

He ran to the window, as he had calculated, the bedding Mirai was given couldn't make a rope long enough to reach the ground. There was at least a good floor between the end of the rope and the ground.

As reckless as she ever was! That idiot could have broken her neck... He thought before whipping out his cellphone as he looked over the huge fenced yard and the forest that extended beyond it.

''Taehyung? I want all the footage of the cameras outside of the manor in the time of yesterday night as well as the traffic cams of all the nearest roads for the same period.'' he didn't give the man the time to answer before he hung up.

Jungkook came in the room, looking distraught. ''Where is she?'' he asked.

''Won't be long until I have that answer. She probably went by the woods, she knows she would be easier to track if she followed the road... Get everyone outside and looking for traces of the direction she took. She had a good couple of hours as a head start, but even at a constant running speed and if she knew the shortest route, she wouldn't have enough time to reach the city through the night... As usual, she has more guts than sense...'' Namjoon explained calmly while walking out and calling Taehyung back for his update on the camera footage.

***

Author's note:

How do you think Mirai's escape is going to end?

Will she slip between Namjoon's fingers and get her revenge or is she in for getting caught and putting herself in even more trouble than she already was?

See you next chapter to find out! ;)

Thank you so much for reading and have yourself a lovely day! :D