Chapter 7: First feelings

Since the kidnapping incident, the kids had grown closer than before, if that was even possible

The time they didn't spend together at school, they spent playing at Mirai's place.

Namjoon's dad was quite strict and he objected to his son going over to for playdates so often, but he quickly understood that for his own safety, it was better not to upset Mirai's family...

The boy even started following Mirai along to her judo lessons. In exchange for his judo training, Namjoon helped Mirai with her schoolwork and he additionally acted as the part of her brain that should have dealt with her missing sense of restraint.

He could never actually talk her out of her whims, but he at least managed to keep them alive and mostly unharmed the times when Mirai suddenly decided that she wanted to steal one of her father's gun and learn how to shoot on her own or when she wanted to pick a fight with an entire lacross team...

Getting away with the trouble they put themselves into was part of the fun in being Mirai's friend. The teachers at school kind of let them do whatever they wanted, and outside of school, Mr. Kuromiya was lenient enough so they would only ever get punished for their worst endeavors by kneeling in a corner for a couple of hours or being grounded in the tea room to do homework together...

Any other parent would have been concerned by Mirai's affinity with danger, but Mr. Kuromiya only saw potential as a Yakuza leader in his daughter's exuberant behavior.

Besides the intensive judo training, the shooting lessons and the occasional corpse getting dragged out of the manor, the both of them grew up side by side, almost normally.

Namjoon was now at the awkward age of his very early teens. He had just had a dramatic growth spurt and and transformed from pudgy to lanky. He was one of the taller boys in the class, but to his dread, Mirai was now a couple of centimeters taller than him.

They were eating lunch in the cafeteria while chatting, as usual, never mingling in with the other kids at school, when Mirai stopped talking, like something was bothering her.

''Did I say something wrong?'' Namjoon asked.

''Shh... Listen...'' Mirai ushered him, before sending a subtle look to the next table over where some jocks were talking to a new guy.

Namjoon tried to listen to their conversation.

''... anyways the girls at this school are all so cute that I just found it odd for one of them to be so... you know.... weird and scary...'' the new guy was saying.

''She's always been like that. Hanging out with that single nerdy dude and always wearing pants instead of the girl's skirt for her uniform. She also cut her hair short last year so she stands out even more.'' One of the jocks said.

''If you want to know what I think, the reason she isn't wearing skirts is because she's actually hiding a dick...'' the new guy joked, making the rest of the table laugh. ''Turns out she wasn't an ugly girl, she was just a pretty dude all along!''