Chapter 38: His Light

When Namjoon walked into his office that morning, he was surprised to see his six closest men. They were all quite busy and had many tasks to follow through so it was rare to see them all reunited in a single place.

Namjoon's heart skipped a beat. If must have been important; maybe they had finally found Mirai!

''Is it about Mirai?'' Namjoon immediately asked; hopeful.

The guys looked at each other with grave expressions and fear; like none of them wanted to be the one to break the news to Namjoon.

The leader felt his legs grow weak and he hung unto the nearest chair before plopping down on it; something was wrong, he knew it.

Jin was the one to break the silence. ''The Russian mafia has been trying to get a share of the city's territory for a while... We've all been busy with the recent conflict so they took the opportunity to strike...''

''You didn't reply to my question; Is this about Mirai!?'' Namjoon asked his tone rising dangerously.

''She was on her way for a meeting with them to negotiate a weapon deal... They ambushed her car...'' Jin continued calmly.

''Is she hurt? Do you know which hospital she's at?''

''There was a shootout and their car's gas tank blew up... There's nothing left of the car... Namjoon... I'm sorry man...'' Jin explained as calmly as he could.

The color drained from Namjoon's face as he jumped to his feet and swung at Jin. Hoseok and Jungkook managed to hold him back by to keep his hit from landing.

''Tell me where she is! You're my informant! Finding out this stuff is your job! Tell me where she is! I need to see her!'' Namjoon yelled, Jin stepped back in shock as the rest of the men looked at the scene in awe.

Nobody expected Namjoon's reaction to be this bad. Yoongi stepped up in front of the leader, surprisingly calm despite the gravity of the situation.

''There was no survivor Namjoon. Mirai is gone.'' Yoongi said, calmly but firmly.

Namjoon stopped struggling on the spot and let himself fall down in his chair.

''I want to see her.''

''There's nothing left to see... it's over...'' Yoongi explained.

''No. She can't die... All of this shit that happened between us, it was because she thought I had betrayed her back then. The reason she didn't love me anymore is because her father tricked her into thinking I sold her off.

We were going to get engaged, and get married and have kids... If I tell her that; she can forgive me. She can love me again and I can make happy. She's my person, she's my light. Everything I ever did, I did for her.

I have to tell her I never stopped loving her, not even a second. SHE CAN'T DIE THINKING I BETRAYED HER. DO YOU GET IT YOONGI? I HAVE TO TELL HER!'' Namjoon said his voice progressively rising into a panicked yell as his eyes watered and his breathing got more and more laboured.

The silence of the room was so heavy that the air felt thick; with nothing but the sound of Namjoon's sobs resonating in the office. The six associates looked at each other, searching for something to say or something to do. No matter how strong and rich they were, for now, they were powerless.

After a moment that felt like a century, Namjoon's voice quiet down and he got up from his chair.

''I'll kill them; every single last one of the scums that had something to do with her death...''