Chapter 16 : Room service

Maybe it was the wine or the fact that they had some ''fun'' earlier that day, but somehow sharing a bed with Namjoon was less awkward than anticipated...

They were each on their respective side of the bed, an invisible line drawn between them. On top of having the good sense to keep his hands to himself, Namjoon was a very calm sleeper and his even breathing was calming.

Mirai observed his face scrunch up in what seemed to be pain as he was bothered by yet another bad dream. She had stopped counting how many he had had that night...

She was walking a dangerous road.

The man she was sharing a bed was without a doubt in love with her, but that didn't make her any safer.

Namjoon wasn't just a jerk mafia boss, his earlier tirade had proved her he was actually borderline insane...

If he thought locking her up was a good proof of his love, she didn't want to know what other grand gestures he had in store...

Fighting him to escape this room was futile.

He was physically much stronger than her, so her chance of success was too low. Not only that but if she got rid of him, she would still have to escape the room.

The door could only be only be unlocked by entering a code in the pad on the wall next to it and she knew that under no amount of torture would Namjoon give her that code; his stubbornness was proverbial.

Even if she did manage to break out of the room, the manor's defenses were crazy efficient.

The straightforward method was useless.

That only left her with a much scarier option; trying to beat Namjoon at his own mind games.

Saying Namjoon was crazy smart was an understatement, outwitting him was unthinkable, yet it was only option.

He was prepared for her putting a fight and trying to escape, the only way to destabilise him was to do the opposite. He wanted her to try and be his trophy wife, so we would give him just that.

She would earn his trust by acting coy, trick him into believing she was not a threat, so he would drop his guard.

Then she would strike.

And win.

***

Mirai's plan was a major fail.

She had lost count of her days of being locked in Namjoon's room without any human company besides his. She was playing the role of the trophy wife perfectly; doing some elaborate hair and makeup in the morning to look cute when Namjoon arrived, reading the books he liked to discuss them with him when he arrived, massaging his sore shoulders while asking him about his day and of course lots of sexy time...

Her goal was to get him to let his guard down, but he hadn't given her an inch. She asked for him to get the window unlocked so she could get some wind in the warm room but he refused categorically (did that idiot really think she would jump from the penthouse?). He also refused to tell her even a single word regarding her family's business.

He looked at her with a mix of amusement and satisfaction and it soon became apparent that he didn't believe in Mirai's little act.

Not only that; but her plan was even clawing back her her own sanity.

She was furiously curling her hair with the styling iron and was debating whether of not it could be used as a weapon for the next time Namjoon smirked at her like she was the funniest little joke he had ever seen...

The familiar beeping of the door lock pulled her out of her thoughts.

''You're early! What a nice surprise!'' she said with a fake smile while putting the iron down.

Namjoon was an organised man, he was never late and never early. Mirai knew something was definitely off.

''I'm glad to see you too princess. You look beautiful with your hair like that.'' he complimented before leaning in to kiss her forehead.

Silently he unplugged the curling iron. ''These things are pretty hot... It's dangerous for you to get burned, plus they'll damage your hair on the long run, I'll buy you some fancy curlers instead...'' Namjoon said in a caring tone, but with a sarcastic look in his eyes.

Mirai clenched her firsts. She hated being treated like a fragile little thing and Namjoon knew it damn well, this was a provocation, but she would not fall for the bait.

''Of course, if you say so.'' Mirai replied with a stiff smile.

''You're a better actress than you were as child, some idiot might actually fall for this lame act... Don't worry, in a couple of years you won't even have to fake it anymore, you'll get used to it and it'll slowly become who you are... But I do appreciate the effort, princess...'' Namjoon said with a sinister smile.

Goosebumps ran on Mirai's whole body.

Her plan didn't take into consideration Namjoon's terrifying patience. It had only been three days and she was already at her limit while Namjoon was ready to play this game for years on.

''Why are you here? You're never early.'' She asked, the sweet tone she was trying to maintain had completely disappeared.

''Something came up with work. I'll have to leave for business I won't come home tonight...'' he started to explain and Mirai's heart missed a beat. ''This phone can only reach the one in the manor's kitchen; it's basically room service. Ask for anything and one of my men will bring it up for you.''

''Namjoon... I'm being serious now, don't leave me locked in here alone...'' The girl pleaded surprised at how desperate her voice sounded.

She was barely keeping it together, having Namjoon to talk to a couple of hours a day was keeping her sane. If he left she might go crazy.

''I know you don't like being locked in here sweetheart, but that's why it's a punishment... sorry princess but I have to, this is all for your own good... I don't want you trying to escape again...'' Namjoon explained calmly.

Mirai got up abruptly.

''My own good, uh? Do I look happy right now?'' she spat coldly.

''You'll get used to it in time.'' Namjoon replied sternly.

''That's not the answer I want. I want to know how long you're going to keep me locked in here for this ''punishment'' you're talking of!''

''As long as I need to.''

''That's not an answer!''

''You don't deserve an answer. You should use this free time to think about you past actions.''

Namjoon grabbed the curling iron and walked out silently, without even saying goodbye as Mirai uselessly kicked the desk chair in anger.

Mirai looked at herself in the mirror, it was ridiculous being all dolled up when she was stuck alone in a room with no one to see her. What was even more ridiculous is that she was starting to get used to this girl looking back at her in the mirror.

She always sat in front of the mirror to read, it almost felt like her reflection was a person in the room with her. She knew it was dumb, but the brain finds the oddest ways of coping with captivity. She had been trying so hard for days in a now, all in vain. She couldn't fight him and she couldn't trick him.

She wiped off her lipstick with the back of her hand. She felt like setting this room on fire. If she still had her curling iron maybe she could have done it.

She needed something to safe her from this boredom that was killing her.

Something to let out her damned frustrations.

An act of rebellion, no matter how futile, to give herself the illusion of freedom she needed to stay alive.

She looked at the phone Namjoon had left. ''Room service'' he had said.

A smirk crept up on Mirai's face.

***