Nine

For some reason, Marinette felt really uneasy as soon as she entered the room where the party was being held. Maybe it was because Adrien was holding unto her arm, or maybe it was because some girls were staring at her.

"Are you feeling okay?" Marinette looked down when Adrien asked the question. She didn't answer, so Adrien kept quiet as well.

Chloe Bourgeois entered the large room. Her eyes quickly landed on Marinette and Adrien, but peeled her eyes off with a smirk. She knew she wasn't alone in this. Some girls were going to help her take Marinette down.

"Well, what do you want to do first?" Adrien let go of her arm, but Marinette's eyes were on someone else. There, at the far end corner was Chloe, talking to some other three girls. Marinette noticed that two of the girls were from the competition.

Adrien bit his lips as he grabbed a cup. "Listen, I know I may not be the best guy for you to go out to the party now, and I know I definitely gave you a wrong first impression, but can you please not ignore me?!"

Marinette looked back at him. "You think I'm ignoring you?"

"Aren't you? You prefer to look at Chloe than me, and you hate Chloe."

Marinette chuckled. "Alright, I'm sorry. I'll try to focus on you. Anyway, remember to keep your promise."

Adrien nodded. "So, like I asked before, what do you want to do first?"

Before Marinette could answer, a girl tapped on her shoulder. Marinette noticed it was one of the girls that were talking to Chloe, so she knew this girl was bad news.

"Don't look at me like that," the girl laughed. "Anyway, I'm Lydia. You might know me from the competition. I just wanted to say, I most certainly love your dress."

Marinette folded her arms. "You were talking to Chloe a few moments ago. What are you planning something?"

Lydia laughed again. At this time, Adrien was forgotten, so he went to hang with some boys he saw.

"Marinette, don't get the wrong idea. I went over to Chloe to tell her she had a nice dress, but it took longer because she started a conversation. Don't worry, Chloe didn't tell me to do anything to you."

Marinette would have believed her if she was stupid, but she nodded and pretended she did. "Alright then, if you say so."

"Listen, I know you still don't believe me, so I'm going to tell you something," Lydia smiled, then turned serious. "Chloe Bourgeois is coming for you! She got really angry and jealous when she saw you with Adrien, so now she's going to be trying something. I did overhear her saying something about humiliating you in front of everyone, so you better look out." She gave another smile and started walking off before Marinette could say anything.

This is why I hate going to parties that Chloe is at! Marinette clenched her fists. No! I can't let her get to me.

Marinette huffed and then smirked. She started walking towards Adrien, realizing that Chloe was also heading for him.

Keep it simple, Marinette. Marinette told herself as she walked up to Adrien, who was busy playing cards with some other guys.

"Hey Adrien," Marinette waved at him and got closer. She saw Chloe clenching her fists, boiling with anger at how close she had gotten to Adrien.

Adrien looked up. The next thing he knew, Marinette had placed a kiss on his cheeks. Now Chloe couldn't take it any longer. Seeing that there was nothing she could do, she turned and walked off.

"What are you doing?" Adrien whispered, as if he didn't want anyone else hearing.

"Helping you," Marinette replied, and she smirked.

~ Edited ~