Fifty - Five

"Nicole?. . . You're still here?"

Marinette closed the door behind her, before walking towards Nicole, who was sitting on the cold ground just beside the stairs. By now, she should have reached home, but she was still sitting in front of Gabriel, as if refusing to leave.

"I knew what I was getting myself into when I did what I did," Nicole started. The she sighed, not looking up at Marinette. "A part of me is glad that I did it, because I know you care about this way more than I do. You and Nathaniel both do. But now, a sudden part of me is also wishing I hadn't done it."

Marinette hugged herself as she headed towards Nicole, wanting to stop herself from shaking from the cold. Once there, she sat down next to Nicole, and waited, thinking carefully about what to say.

"In other competitions, the judge would send the parents a message saying that their child had gotten disqualified, but I'm so glad that Gabriel doesn't do that." Nicole said again. "I can't imagine how freaked out my mom would be if she found out."

"Is that why you're not going back home? Because you're scared of her?"

"I'm not scared of her," Nicole muttered. "I'm just scared of what she would do to me. I could end up leaving on the streets, even though she wasn't the one who necessarily bought the house. Who knows how many days I'm going to go without food and water now?!"

"Nicole. . . You don't have to go back home. In fact, you can come over to my place and stay there for a while," Marinette meant it. Every single words. She didn't exactly like it when people felt bad for her, and then slagged off just to have her win, but knowing that Nicole had done it because of how mad she had been, she was grateful. This was the least she could do.

"Marinette, I can't. It'll make my parents think I'm still in the competition. They'll come to watch me in the finals, but when they see that their daughter isn't one of the two people in the finals, they're going to rage and do everything they could to find me!" Nicole sounded serious, then she let out a bitter laugh. "It's not the first time anyway."

"Nicole, I really feel bad that you had to do this, but my offer still stands. You could call the police or something and tell them that your mom is crazy! You could do a lot of things to stand up for yourself. Just be patient and you'll find the answers." Marinette stood up, before brushing the dust off her pants. "I know it may not be easy. I can't relate, but I think you need to get some serious help if your mom is that bad."

Nicole nodded, though she looked like she was thinking of something else. "I'll see what I can do," But she said it without looking at Marinette. Marinette  nodded anyway and started heading inside the building.

Her phone immediately started ringing when she got inside. Trying not to look back at Nicole from the windows, she took out her phone and answered it without looking to see who it was. "Hello?"

"Marinette, it's me."

Adrien's voice immediately came up, making her face become bright again. As she pressed the phone against her ear, she started heading upstairs. "Adrien, what's up?"

"Nothing much." She heard a few giggling in the background, and Marinette knew Adrien wasn't alone. "Alya and the others are with me. Marinette, did you make it?"

"I. . . I wouldn't have, but yes, I did." She wasn't sure whether to be proud or guilty.

"What did you girls have to make?"

Marinette told him. She told him everything that had happened while Adrien carefully listened. Finally she closed with a loud sigh.

"Wow, that's really nice of Nicole to do that, huh? She isn't so bad, is she?"

"No, she's not." Marinette sat down on her bed. "So, what are you really up to? Are you guys coming to the finals?"

"Of course we are. We wouldn't miss it, Marinette. We're going to be there to cheer for you!"

"Thanks."

A knock came on her door, interrupting her call. "Hold on, Adrien." She stood up and headed to the door. When she opened it, she saw a woman there. The woman handed her a piece of paper, containing the information on the next design to make.

Behind the woman, Marinette could see Nathaniel standing there, staring at the paper that had been given to him. When he looked up, he didn't smile. Instead he looked absolutely serious, before he turned around and started walking away.

~ Edited ~