Forty - Nine

Adrien took a sip of his water, before picking up his already-made cap and walking inside the big room with the rest of the other three boys. He looked at each of them and he could tell they looked just as nervous as he looked.

Before he hadn't really cared about entering the competition, hadn't cared about winning. He had begged his father, promised him that he would do well, and his father had agreed and given him a certificate, him being the first one to enter the competition. But he had only done that to get closer to Marinette, to do the dare that had been given to him. Though as he got closer to her, the dare had already been forgotten.

When he entered the room, he had looked around but no sign of Marinette. He sighed, taking a seat. Marinette was probably out with Nicole, though he wished she was here. If Marinette was here, his confidence would have risen more.

"Alright," Gabriel took a deep breath as he faced the four boys. "As you all may know, this is a semi-round. Two of you boys will be getting eliminated from this round, and the other two will be joining the girls in the next round. For this round you were asked to make hats. Why don't we start with Marc?"

Marc nodded and stood up, walking up to the front. Once he got to the front, he put on the hat he had made to show the others.

Marc had instantly walked back to his seat after he explained his cap

Marc had instantly walked back to his seat after he explained his cap. Nathaniel winced, knowing that Marc should have taken his time instead of rushing through it.

After Gabriel complimented Marc's cap, he called Adam up next.

Adrien gulped when he saw the complicated design, but looking back at his cap and remembering Marinette, he took a deep breath and waited until Adam was finished with his explanation

"Next up, Nathaniel."

Nathaniel stood up. Marc gave him a thumbs up, in which Nathaniel replied back with a smile. Once he got to the front, he put on his cap to show off to the others.

Now when Adrien saw the cap, he gulped louder

Now when Adrien saw the cap, he gulped louder. Adam and Marc beside him looked as nervous as he did, at least that's what he noticed. Turning back to the front, he listened to Nathaniel.

And then finally he was being called.

He did as the others did, putting on his cap, but this time on the way to the front. He turned around so the others could have a better look at the cap he had worked so hard to design.

And as soon he started explaining his cap, he imagined Marinette sitting in the crowd with the other boys

And as soon he started explaining his cap, he imagined Marinette sitting in the crowd with the other boys. Imagining her made things better, and he left that stage feeling better and way more confident.

~~~

"You sure you don't want to go back?" Nicole asked again, turning to Marinette. Alya and Nino had already left, saying they had to go back to the date they were going to have.

Marinette shrugged. "I don't know. I'll come back when it's over."

"Why? Adrien might need you there."

Marinette was surprised to hear that from Nicole, but she scoffed, turning away again. "Why would Adrien need me? I'm sure he's got this."

"What if he loses his confidence because you're not there," Nicole said again, making Marinette tremble. "And then he does horrible when it's his turn to represent his design. Then maybe he won't make it to the next round. He would have to leave Gabriel, and you won't see him again until the competition is over, or until you're out."

Marinette didn't say anything at that, but she had to admit, she felt nervous the more she thought about it.

"Marinette, promise me something."

Marinette looked up. "What?"

"Promise me that whatever happens, you'll try your hardest," Nicole looked serious as she spoke. "Promise me that even though Adrien doesn't make it, you're going to focus on yourself and try to win."

"Why would you want me to promise you that?"

Nicole didn't answer. After a while, Marinette answered;

"Okay, I promise."

~ Edited ~