Fifty - Two

"Nicole, I've got some important news for you," The woman walked inside her bedroom without even knocking, holding up a paper. "This calls for a family meeting. Come to the living room instantly!"

Nicole silently groaned, but pushed all her work aside and started heading downstairs to the living room. Going inside, she looked at the others that had decided to join in, before she took a seat on one of the couch. "What is this all about?"

"Ugh! Let me guess, you were in your room, writing down another stupid book that no one's going to read, huh?"

Nicole bit her lip at the words, but held in her anger. "No, I was actually doing homework." Stupid family members didn't know how much she loved writing, but she had learned not to care either.

"Whatever," Her step-mother help up the paper. "Now here's the real stuff. You're always talking about how you're going to publish your books and make money, but you're always too afraid to do it! This paper I'm holding up right now is something you could do and get money out of it."

"What is it?"

"Gabriel is holding a designing competition. Anyone under 21 and above 12 is allowed to join, but you have to be the first 22 to receive a certificate," The woman explained carefully. "To get a certificate, you have to design something that Gabriel will like, send it to him before anyone else, and if he approves of it, you get one."

"You know designing isn't my thing," Nicole groaned, folding her arms and looking away.

"Does my face look like it cares?! Nicole, you're the oldest out of you four kids, therefore you have to do what's best for you and your family. Just look at the prize," Her step-mother shoved the paper in her face. "Look at how much money you get. Plus you also get to work for Gabriel in his company. Think of how much money you'll earn if you start working for him.

"Nicole, you're absolutely amazing at designing. I've seen you. You started knitting at 6 for goodness sake. So you're going to have to join," Suddenly her face changed from a calm look to a demonic one. "Or else!"

Nicole slouched down to the floor, not even sure why she was having such sudden memory. Her step-mother was capable of anything, and Nicole had always listened to her due to how afraid she was of what she could do.

But while in the process of trying to win and defeating her enemies, she hurt someone. Her actual first friend. The only girl who had agreed to go out for ice cream and actually had a full conversation with her.

"Just think about this. If you win, all those people at school that despise your gut will start to like you. They'll want to be around you, instead of leaving you just because your family is poor. You get what I'm saying?"

Nicole took ahold of the certificate that she still had, before ripping it into two, knowing that she didn't deserve to have it in the first place.

If you wanted money so bad, why didn't you just get a damn job yourself?

When she heard a knock on her door, she quickly hid the torn-into-two certificate, although she wasn't exactly sure why. It wasn't like the certificate really mattered anymore.

"Hey," Nicole replaced her saddening and angry look with a more calm and fake-happy look. The woman who had knocked just nodded, before handing her a piece of paper.

Right, the next one. The next design.

After Adrien left, Nathaniel was left with no competition, which he was very glad of. Gabriel decided that Marinette and Nicole would go against each other, whichever girl won would then go against Nathaniel.

"For the next design, you must design a shirt with a panda design."

Nicole sighed as she stared at the paper multiple of times, before she decided she was tired of staring and threw it away. She then left her room, walking upstairs, though she wasn't even sure if that was a good idea or not.

She knocked on the door very lightly, hoping that Marinette heard it, but then again, hoping that she didn't, because then she wouldn't have to see Marinette's angry face and feel guilty all over again.

The door did start to open though, until it was fully opened and Marinette was looking up, half awake, looking like she had been sleeping ever since Adrien was gone, but still couldn't get enough sleep.

"Hey," Nicole waved, through immediately after Marinette heard her voice, she began to shut the door back again. Nicole reacted quickly, stepping her foot between the gap of the opened door before it was fully closed. "Hey, I just want to talk."

"Well, I don't, so leave me alone!" Marinette said harshly, now beginning to awaken more and more. She kicked Nicole's foot that was blocking the door, and Nicole gave in, removing her foot and allowing Marinette to bang the door close in her face.

Feeling defeated, Nicole just shook her head and started heading back to her room. Only one thought remained in her head now;

"I shouldn't be here!"

- Edited -