♆ Prologue ♆

Under the Siren's Spell
"Prologue"

Charlie

        My hazel eyes study the ocean as the storm rages, dark, gray, billowy clouds screaming out in rage. The wind howls as the waves smash against the sides of the boat, but I know that the boat won't sink.

        It never does.

        "Poseidon is angry," my younger brother, Xander states, also surveying the area.

        "Indeed he is. Something is coming that shouldn't be here." I hold my hand over the bow, the salty water of the sea coming to lick at my fingertips. I close my eyes, listening for Poseidon's will.

        "What does he say, brother?" Xander asks, adjusting his sword.

        I open my eyes and look into Xander's green ones. "A mortal ship is coming, trying to get something that they ought not to. They wish for our riches, but they will receive nothing but death. If it's a siren that they desire, it's a siren they shall get."

        Xander nods while the members of our crew run around, preparing for battle.

        Handing Xander my captain's hat, I shake out my dirty blond hair and start stripping out of my shirt.

        "You're using mother's side?" Xander asks.

        "It's the most useful in this current situation." I run my hands through my curly hair.

        "Wings or tail?" Xander asks, referring to our lineage.

        "Wings. I want to fly on the ship quickly afterwards and help you loot it." I smirk, my dark purple wings sprouting from my back and I begin flapping them, testing them out. Usually, I'm more partial to my merfolk side due to my love for the ocean, Poseidon, and all of his wonders. I've been raised in and on the ocean. Lord Poseidon granted my mother a tail and the ability to breathe underwater while also maintaining her song so that she could be with my father.

        I'd be nothing without the ocean.

        My wings lift me off of the ship and onto a black, coarse rock in the view of my boat. This should be easy. I have gone through the motions millions of times.

        The crew I sail with is different from regular pirate crews. We're all made up of merfolk. This gives us an advantage over the humans, as they'll never know the sea as well as we do. Poseidon will never favor them over us. On top of that, Xander and I are part siren, making it easier to crash human ships before they encroach on our territory.

        Humans are vile, ruthless creatures that have little to no respect for anything but themselves. They've been polluting our waters, mutilating our animals, and trying to take what's ours and what's sacred. They're leeches and some of them don't even respect the gods.

        A dark pirate ship comes into view and I see the typical pirate flag, a black flag with the white skull and crossbones standing out proudly.

        I sit down on my rock and wait for the ship to get closer. It's nicely sized. The pirates are most likely formidable foes, but they don't know what they're up against.

        All who have fought us are not alive to tell the tale.

        When the ship is close enough as to where I'm within earshot, I smirk. This should be easy. Closing my eyes, I begin to sing in my language, conveying everything that I want the listeners to hear. I want them to sink. I want them to stay out. I want to keep our territory safe.