♆ Chapter 16 • Coming Home ♆

Under the Siren's Spell
Chapter 16:
"Coming Home"

Charlie

The moon is out and the soft clouds offer a sort of filter over it, making the light relaxing and serene. My journey has calmed me, but I still don't know how to feel. I've decided to try and put Ethan's past behind me, because if I don't, it could eat away at me.

I told Xander that I'd be home tonight, but staring at my boat, I feel sort of scared. There's no telling what's waiting up there for me and walking around on freshly sprouted legs sounds like anything but a good time.

But I give in, letting the water drop me off on deck where the moonlight reflects off of my scales like gentle mood lighting. I'll miss them and I'll miss the freedom that swimming in my home offers, but I know that I'll always enjoy being a pirate. It's like playing pretend or being an actor, something highly enticing. Being a human pirate is fun, but I know that my true place will always be under the water.

Once my tail turns into legs, I limp to my cabin and fall against the door, catching my breath. The longer I spend as a merperson, the more painful it is to adjust to walking and breathing air. It hurts.

The door opens and Ryder smiles at me, helping me up. "Hello, Charlie."

"Charlie?" I notice Ethan curled up on the floor. When he sees me, he jumps up and runs to me, knocking me over in a hug and bursting into tears.

"W-Why are you crying?" I ask, panting and petting his hair.

"I missed you." He sobs. "You left me."

Ryder watches us with a sad expression.

"I-I'm sorry. I won't leave anymore..." I close my eyes and focus on my breathing.

I can hear Xander sigh sadly. "Welcome back, Charlie."

"Thank you," I force out. "Thank you too, Ryder."

Ryder nods. "There's something about Ethan you should know..."

"What is it? Is he okay?" I lift his head up to check for injury.

Xander just looks away, holding his shoulder.

"Come on inside." Ryder offers and pulls Ethan off of me, making him scream, "No!"

"Ethan, can you carry me inside? It's hard to walk."

"Yes." He nods and picks me up gently, carrying me to my bed where I notice Toby has taken residence next to.

I look at Toby and then Ethan.

He sets me down and holds me close, his breathing uneven, a combination of relieved and afraid.

"Something happened to Ethan while you were gone. He kind of... lost his mind." Ryder begins, sitting next to Xander.

"He became needy..." Xander says. "He became suicidal."

"Ethan almost drowned himself trying to get to a mirage of you," Toby stutters.

My expression falls and I lean into Ethan, feeling incredibly guilty. "I'm sorry..."

"Don't be sorry." Ryder says gently. "It's not your fault. Ethan would agree if he could think right now. Hopefully it wears off now that he has you back."