☠︎ Chapter 25 • Human Cruelty ☠︎

Under the Siren's Spell
Chapter 25:
"Human Cruelty"

☠︎
Ethan

I wake up tangled with Charlie, my favorite place to be. Remembering yesterday's events leaves me feeling ill. I hate to imagine what Tony must have done to Ryder.

It hurts. It hurts that I wasn't there to help him. It hurts even more knowing I was the one who inadvertently pushed him to run away with Tony. He wanted to prove himself to me, to prove that he could do something useful. I should've never made him feel useless in the first place.

"Ethan?" Charlie mumbles tiredly, rubbing his face against my neck.

"Morning, baby." I hold him close, his touch soothing me.

"Toby's telling me to wake up. Tony apparently wants breakfast and Toby doesn't know what a cook is." Charlie laughs. "I still don't even know."

"Screw him, he can eat bread and fruit like the rest of us." I grumble.

"I want to learn how to cook for you too." Charlie says innocently.

I look at him and cave. "Alright, I'll show you." I help dress him like the other day.

"Yay!" Charlie cheers as a knock sounds at the door.

"Come in!" I call.

Toby jumps into the bed. "What is the cook?"

I chuckle. "You'll see, come on. We have to make fire so where's the best place to do that?"

Charlie gets up and stretches. "How do we not catch the whole ship on fire?"

"Usually we humans have a kitchen for this. Do you have rocks? A tarp?"

"Uuuuuuuuh, I th-think so..." Toby bites his lip.

"That'll work then. Or we can dock." I shrug. "Where's your pet oaf?" I ask Toby and Tony leans his head in the door.

"Here."

I pout. "Great."

"We could dock..." Charlie says and Toby returns to Tony, looking up at him. "Maybe someone could learn to build one of these 'kitchens' you speak of."

"If you want. We'll need something to cook, how do you fish? We use nets."

Toby and Charlie wiggle their fingers.

"With our bare hands and tridents." Charlie grins.

Tony huffs. "Our way sounds much more efficient."

"But we'll get to see their tails." I rub Charlie's legs.

"Mmm, yeah." He shivers.

"Charlie can just a-ask, and sometimes they come." Toby laughs.

"They'll sacrifice themselves to you?" Tony laughs.

"It'd be an honor." I whisper, eyes locked on Charlie's.

"Thank you. Nets are very bad for the ocean." Charlie wraps his arms around my neck.

"So, you three get the fish, I'll dock the boat." Tony says and I shake my head.

"Fuck no. Ry and Xander can dock the boat. You don't get any control."

"I mean, I can dock the boat while fishing. If you haven't noticed, there's rarely someone at the mast. I'm pretty much always moving the ship," Charlie explains.