⎈ Chapter 21.50 • Fight or Flight ⎈

Under the Siren's Spell
Chapter 21.50
"Fight or Flight"

Tony

        I haven't slept. Can't afford to when you have a possibility of Ethan Dechart on your tail.

        We all saw what he did to Lazarus's crew.

        I'm at the helm, but I've got my eyes trained on the door to my cabin so if Toby comes out, I'll see him. I've also got a guy down there ready to grab him if need be.

        I'm much stronger than him. I could pin him down easy.

        I lick my lips and Aundrea snaps her fingers in front of my face.

        "Focus, Tony. We don't have much time."

        "We shouldn't do a mission until Dechart's off our tail." I say, refocusing on the maps.

        "The timing is perfect though." She argues.

        I scratch my beard. "I wish we still had Ryder."

        "There's better ways to do this than using rape bait." She rolls her eyes.

        I just hum.

        "A-Am I going to be bait...?" Toby's asks quietly, walking up to me. "Merpeople have really good hearing." He plays with the his hair, the locks falling into his eyes before he blows them out of the way.

        Aundrea's eyes flash. "That's perfect—"

        "No." I cut her off.

        Toby looks at Aundrea and shrinks down. "W-What's going on?"

        "There's a very important Elite attending a conference nearby. The city is not well protected and easy to infiltrate. Aundrea wants us to make a stop and kidnap him." I explain.

        "Sounds mean..."

        "Do you know who the Elite are?" I ask. If he knew, he wouldn't see it as mean at all.

        He shakes his head.

        "They're corrupt capitalists, the one percent. They force the underclass to work like slaves, barely making enough to live, while they get the benefits of our labor." I explain.

        Toby giggles. "Y-You don't do labor a-and you're k-keeping me as a slave."

        "I used to." I clench my jaw. "My father died on the job. He was overworked and got a very preventable disease. The cure was too expensive. He died of something we cured eons ago all because the Elite only care about lining their pockets. It's sickening and we openly rebel against it. Some pirates rebel by finding their own wealth, others rebel by fighting to topple their corrupt system."

        "That sounds noble. Why did other species have to be dragged in?" He asks, gaining confidence.

        "What the fuck is it talking about?" Andrea glares. "And it's your slave now?"

       I sigh. "He's not my slave, he's confused."

        "E-Excuse me, ma'am, I'm n-n-not an it. The Elite just sound like the r-real monsters, so I don't know why w-we were targeted."

        "Ethan." She growls.

        "T-Then why am I here?" He asks, making eye contact with me.