Ψ Chapter 26 • Eternal Love Ψ

Under the Siren's Spell
Chapter 26:
"Eternal Love"

Ψ
Xander

I awake with a start, looking around to find an empty bed in a lonely bedroom. Ryder isn't in here. Worried, I get up and pace. He can handle himself. I just wish he were here. It doesn't feel right in here without him.

Unfortunately, the more I try to calm myself, the more I feel him. It's almost like he's calling out for me. I feel his anxiousness and I feel his sadness. It's drawing me in, begging for me.

Worried, I leave and look for him. If I focus, I should be able to hear him.

I find him on Ethan's ship, in the below deck where they store their alcoholic beverages, beverages Ryder is surrounded by while he just sits in the corner, eyes puffy from previous tears.

"Hey, Ry, Princess," I say softly. "Did you want me?"

He looks up, eyes foggy, and smiles a little. "Xan." He moves to stand but sways a little, grabbing onto a crate for balance. "Oh, shiii-too much rummy." He falls against the crate and hiccups.

"Fuck—Ryder—" I catch and steady him. "What's going on? Why are you like this? Are you okay?"

He giggles. "My master is sooo strong!"

I cock my head to the side. "What is making you behave in such a manner? Have you been poisoned?"

I use my fingers to expose more of his eyes so I can examine.

He swats at me. "Yea, I poisoned myself and Tony was here too and he did it too but not as bad."

"Are you trying to kill yourself?" I whisper brokenly, pictures flashing through my mind.

Ryder shakes his head. "No, no, no. It was a joke. I'm drunk."

I hug him tightly. "Good. I can't deal with that, not again..." My voice drops off at the end.

"No, Xander, no, no, never." His eyes fill with tears and he hugs me back just as tight. "I'm forever, remember?"

"You can still die." I play with his hair. "But you're okay. We're okay." I look him over. "Well, you're okay in that regard anyway. What is blighting you?"

"I try not to drink because when I'm drunk people touch me." Ryder whispers. "Always. But no one is here on this ship, so I thought I was s-safe."

"Thought...? Does that mean you aren't safe... or weren't...?"

His tears slowly disapate now that I'm okay. "Tony came and I didn't feel safe anymore. I'm drunk, alone, I thought he was gonna... was gonna..." His voice breaks.

"Did he?" I rock him as I sit us on the ground.

"No, but he attacked me because I tried to run away from him." Ryder hides in my form.

"I'll kill him." I feel my blood boil. "We'll do it—together."

Ryder shakes his head. "No, don't kill him, please. It's okay, I'm okay, he just lost his temper." Ryder lifts his head and I notice a faint red mark around his neck.

"This isn't okay. Even if you're fine, Toby has sensitive skin and he'd probably end up getting three times as injured."

"If he even hurts Toby." Ryder's eyes darken with an emotion I've never seen from him. "I'm just something to use and throw out. Toby's precious."

"Hey, you're not something to be thrown out." I cup his face gently. "I love you. You're precious to me."

Ryder won't meet my eyes. "He didn't even like me."