♆ Chapter 4 • Curiosity Brought it Back ♆

Under the Siren's Spell
Chapter 4:
"Curiosity Brought it Back"

Charlie

        The ocean breeze blows around me and through my hair. My body bounces up and down slightly as I lie and the bouncing becomes more violent as footsteps make their way closer and closer to me. Considering the fact that these footsteps are confident, it's most likely Xander. The rest of my crew are just my guards and they're timid to talk to either Xander or me. It's a lonely existence, but we get to keep our people safe, so it's worth it.

        "Sleeping on the plank isn't the wisest of ideas when we have prisoners on board." Xander sits beside my head.

        I crack an eye open. "Why not? They're gonna push me overboard and I'll drown?"

        Xander lifts my head up and sets it in his lap, playing with my hair. "Sleep well?"

        "No." I open my eyes. "The nightmares are back."

        He freezes. "I'm sorry. Is that why you were out here, to have the sea calm you?"

        "Yeah." I hold a hand over the plank and will water to come up and lick at my palm. The feeling is homely and I yearn to go swim. "Can I go for a—"

        "No, Charlie. That's dangerous. You can't do that. Keep your tail safe. You already know Dechart will cut it off and keep it."

        I growl. "I'd kill him before he got anywhere close to my tail. He's not even allowed to look at it. I hate him." The water level starts to rise and Xander places a hand on my shoulder, calming me down.

        The tide returns to normal.

        "Dechart wants to see you and he... said you put him under a spell and kinda alluded that you asked for everything." Xander says quietly.

        "I hate him." I stand up and march to where Ethan is being held.

        When I reach the cell, he doesn't get up, instead stays sitting up against the back wall. "Hello."

        "I hate you."

        He nods. "Makes sense. I hate you too."

        "You don't even have a reason to hate me! You're just fucking toxic!" I snap, my voice slipping in between normal and siren due to how angry I am. "Of course I was stupid to try and give you the benefit of the doubt for even a second."

        Ethan hangs his head. "I'm sorry I touched you, Ch-Captain. I shouldn't have done that."

        "You sure made it seem like I coaxed you into doing it, that I had you under my spell."

        Ethan furrows his brows. "Didn't you?"

        "No! What in Tartarus are you even talking about?!"

        "I just felt attracted to you... so I thought..." he puts his head in his hands.

        "Why would I coax you into taking advantage of me? How does that even make any sense?! If I had you under my 'spell,' you wouldn't have had ulterior motives. You wouldn't have tried to escape. You would've just fucked me." My voice darkens.

        "I wasn't ever going to fuck you." Ethan states. "I took advantage of your innocence to escape, not to hurt you."

        "What would you have done if you escaped? Hurt us!"