⚔︎ Chapter 3 • Right or Wrong ⚔︎

Under the Siren's Spell
Chapter 3:
"Right or Wrong"

⚔︎
Ryder

As soon as he leaves, I feel my eyes starting to water and I curl up into a ball on my new bed. We shouldn't have come here, if only Ethan wasn't so hell bent on being the only man to hear a siren's song and survive. He got what he fucking wanted, but at such a terrible price.

I cry harder thinking about how I might never see land again, or my friends, our crew, even Ethan. I'll never go back to the mainland, I'll never feel the ocean breeze on my skin or see the sun rise.

I'm trapped, living here in this room to entertain the very thing we came here to hunt.

It could be worse, it could be so much worse, but that doesn't stop the hurt. I should've known this was all I'd end up being good for, someone's entertainment, and even though he isn't fucking me, it feels the same.

I'm a pretty object. I always have been and now that's all I'll ever be.

After a few hours of crying, I hear the door and quickly stop, wiping away all of the evidence.

"If you're awake, you're visiting your brother in the morning and when we reach land... you're going with your crew. Just don't come back." Xander's voice sounds broken and he collapses on his bed, facing away from me.

I stare at him. He's letting me go? Why?

I silently stand up and walk over to his bed. "Why?"

"So you'll be happy and so you can be with your brother. I'm sorry."

Something inside my chest flutters. "You really want me to be happy?"

"Yeah... You looked... sad on the ship, so I thought I could fix it."

"You were trying to help me?"

"Terribly, but, yes."

I suddenly feel the urge to comfort him. He looks so miserable right now and all he wanted to do was make me happy. It makes my heart hurt to see him like that so I climb up on the bed and hug him.

"Y-You guys hug too...?" Xander asks, burying his face in the pillow so I can't see him.

"Yeah." I nod.

"Thank you. Why are you hugging me though...?"

"You seem so sad... I don't want you to be sad. You've been nothing but kind to me." I admit.

"You only decided to come to protect your brother. It's okay. You don't have to stay. I'll get you another knife so you can protect yourself from the bad guys again."

I tense. "Again?"

"Your brother said that the human men are evil to you, so you need a way to protect yourself... from... you know..."

"Oh." I whisper and feel my tears coming back. I bury my head into the closest thing which just so happens to be Xander's chest. "Thanks."

"You're welcome." He cautiously wraps his arms around me. "Please don't cry."

I try to stop and slow my breathing until I finally calm down. "I'm sorry."

"What are you apologizing for?"

"For crying."

"Your feelings are valid. I just want you to be happy." Xander whispers tiredly. "In the morning... when you see your brother, I'm going to lock you on the lowest level with him, but I'll come get you when you're ready."