⚔︎ Chapter 27 • Brothers ⚔︎

Under the Siren's Spell
Chapter 27
"Brothers"

⚔︎
Ryder

~9 Years Ago~

"Ethan," I whisper, crawling into my big brother's bed. "Ethan, I'm scared."

Strong arms wrap around me and I bury my face in Ethan's chest as the storm rages around us. "We're not on the ship right now, we're on land, the storm can't hurt us."

"Yes, it can." I shake and Ethan holds me close.

"You're safe, Ry, I swear it." He lifts my chin so I'm looking at him. "You're always safe with me."

Thunder roars from outside and Ethan pulls the covers over our heads and begins to sing. He sings loudly, his voice drowning out the storm, and I listen. He may be off key and loud, but hearing his voice comforts me. I cuddle close to him and hug his torso.

"Goodnight, Ry. I love you."

"I love you too." I whisper and attempt to sleep once again.

• ♆ • ☠︎ • Ψ • ⚔︎ •

~Present~

"Ethan," I tiptoe into the cabin he shares with Charlie. Maybe I should've stayed with Xander... maybe he won't want to see me.

"Ry?" Ethan questions and sits up. He notices my posture immediately and gets up. He pulls some pants on and pads over to me. "Hey, what's wrong?"

My eyes start to water and Ethan pulls me out of the room and closes the door. Once the door closes, I burst into tears and just hug him tight. His arms wrap around me and he picks me up like a little monkey and carries me over to the helm. He sits us down where no one's around to witness and pulls me against his chest.

"Shhh, I've got you, I've got you." He soothes me, rubbing my back.

"I'm sorry," I choke out, "I h-had a nightmare and I-I-I-only wanted y-you."

"Well, you've got me." He smiles sadly. "What's going on, Ry?"

"This whole shitshow with Tony." I get comfortable in Ethan's lap. "It's been bringing up memories. Xander's been a really great help, but I miss you. I feel like you don't like me as much anymore, all you care about now is Charlie, and I love Charlie, but I miss my big brother."

"I'll always be your big brother, Ry." Ethan wipes my tears. "I'm sorry. I haven't always been the greatest, but I will always be here for you."

"Thank you." I sigh sadly. "Are you still mad at me for what happened?"

"I was never mad at you. I'm mad at Tony. You didn't do anything wrong, Ry. If I hadn't pushed you aside so often you never would've felt like you needed to go so far to prove yourself, and for that, I'm sorry. You don't need to prove anything to me. You're incredibly strong and capable. I chose you as my first mate for a reason."

"It's hard to believe that..."

Ethan nods in understanding. "Do you remember when dad made your bow?"

"Yes, he made it thin so my small hands could fit around it. He taught me how to shoot."

"And you practiced every single day until you were perfect. It's been years since then and you've only gotten better and better. You can best me in a knife fight too."