☠︎ Chapter 9 • Betraying the Captains ☠︎

Under the Siren's Spell
Chapter 5:
"Betraying the Captains"

☠︎
Ethan

        Charlie falls asleep but I don't. My mind is still racing, trying to figure out which thoughts are mine and which are his.

        I don't want to like him. It goes against everything I believe, the infamous monster hunter submitting willingly to one of his beasts. I don't want it to be willing, I want so bad to believe he's making me into this, that he's making me love him, but it's not entirely true. Some of these feelings are mine and I can't hide from that. I can't blame him.

        I did everything I did tonight of my own free will. I wanted to and I enjoyed it.

        He's very confusing.

        After an hour I quietly unwrap myself from him and stand up. I asked to be his pet for a reason. I want free(ish) reign of the ship like Ryder and now I have it.

        I search the cabin for weapons. I find Charlie's sword and his gun and get dressed, putting the weapons on my belt. I glance at him once before leaving the cabin into the night air.

        I sneak past the crew and down to the lower levels. His ship isn't like ours, so it takes a few wrong turns before I figure out where to go.

        I enter the prison level where the rest of my crew is kept, the people who betrayed me.

        I light a candle and step towards the bars. I stare each and every one of them in the eye. None of them hold my gaze. At least they still feel guilty.

        I draw my sword and smack it against the bars, making them flinch. "Well?!" I snap. "Where's your leader? Who dares to defy me? Did you think it'd be easy while I was locked up? You really shouldn't underestimate me."

        Nobody moves and I pull out my gun. "Should I just start shooting then?"

        "You wouldn't shoot unarmed men would you?" A recognizable voice rings out from the back and the crowd parts, revealing Tony.

        I lower my gun and stare at him in shock. "Tony?" My eyes burn at the realization and I step back. "No, no, you wouldn't."

        "Oh, but I would." He leans against the bars. "You're so easy to fool, Ethan. You need people or you're nothing."

        "Why?" I ask, words leaving me. Tony was my best friend, one of the four people I trust most in this world. We've saved each other's lives hundreds of times, so many that we've lost count of who owes who. If Ryder wasn't my first mate, Tony would've been my next choice. I love him like a brother.

        "Because you became obsessed, Dechart." Tony snarls with real hatred in his tone. "You became obsessed with hunting monsters. You stopped caring about the treasure, about the lives of our fellow crewmates, about fighting who we're here to fight. You are blinded by power, by your reputation and some of us got sick of it."

        The crowd cheers angrily and I wipe my tears, getting myself together. "I brought us here for the tails!" I shout. "I brought us here so every man on my ship could make enough money to buy his own fleet!"

        Tony shakes his head, clicking his tongue. "You brought us here for the siren. If you hadn't been tied down so you could hear the bloody thing, we might've stood a chance!" He slams his hands against the bars. "But noooo, you had to listen."