♆ Chapter 12 • A Whirlpool of Emotions ♆

Under the Siren's Spell
Chapter 12:
"A Whirlpool of Emotions"

Charlie

        I play with Ethan's shirt, my whole body still feeling exhausted. It feels like I'll have to be thrown into the ocean to feel at one hundred percent again.

        "I don't blame you." He says again, holding me close.

        Sighing, I hide my face in his chest. "I still feel bad. I'm sorry."

        He nods. "I'm sorry I came to kill you."

        "It's whatever. I'm useful dead. I'm expensive."

        Ethan's grip tightens. "You're not what I thought you were."

        "What were you going to do with me? I was supposed to be your trophy, but how?"

        Ethan sighs and lets go of me. "I was going to bring your body back to port, show it off, tell the tale of how I slayed you." He looks at his hands. "We would've partied. Then, I'd probably take your wings and tail before burning your body in the square."

        "Oh. I see." I cover my body.

        "I have... a trophy room on my ship." He tells me.

        My discomfort grows. "That's... scary."

        He nods. "I'm sure it is for you."

        "Is it true... that you killed him..? The skelopendra?"

        Ethan looks up, probably confused by my concern. "Yes..."

        Tears start to form, but I hold it in. "H-He... He was kind of our godfather in a way. He took care of me when I was five and got lost. He kept the dangerous people away." I exhale shakily.

        Ethan stares at me silently while he processes what I said. He looks confused and wary, but also a little bothered. "I didn't know it... he was anything but a monster. He struck first."

        I pull my hair.

        Ethan looks down. "I didn't know, Charlie. I couldn't have known."

        "I know..." I whimper.

        "What can I do?" He asks.

        "I want to release everyone back to the ocean."

        Ethan's head snaps up and he looks ready to protest, but stops when he sees my face. "I... it's my life's work, Charlie."

        "I bury sailors. I don't keep them." I play with my hair. "Forget I asked."

        "You bury them?" Ethan looks surprised.

        "Yes."

        Ethan scratches his head, looking guilty.

        "You don't have to. I just wanted to set their souls to rest."

        "If you see them... you'll hate me again." He sighs and turns away.

        "Do you want me to not hate you?"

        He nods.

        "Okay. But if you ever decide to let me do it, if you help me, then I'll take it as you atoning for your sins." I wrap his arms around me and close my eyes.