☠︎ Chapter 13 • Effects of the Siren's Song ☠︎

Under the Siren's Spell
Chapter 13:
"Effects of the Siren's Song"

☠︎
Ethan

        I wake up alone and turn to look at Charlie's bed, only to find him missing. This makes me frown. Even though I slept most of the time, I've been away from Charlie all yesterday and last night and I don't like it. My whole body feels uncomfortable, also itchy, and my stomach feels queasy.

        Where did he go? Could he be hurt?

        My heart drops at the thought and I run out of the room, finding the nearest merperson. I grab their arm. "Where's Charlie?"

        "Out," she responds and looks me over. "He told us that he was swimming to clear his head. These trips vary in length from anywhere from a few hours to a few weeks or so."

        My heart clenches. Weeks? He could be gone for weeks?

        "Where's, uh, the other one? Red hair." I ask desperately.

        "Xander is in his cabin with the princess."

        My eyebrows furrow. Princess? Ryder?

        "Can you take me there?"

        She leads the way to the cabin and knocks on the door.

        There's no answer and I knock harder.

        "What the fuck do you want?" Xander opens the door and then sees me. "Oh. You."

        I glare, suddenly forgetting why I came here. "I... uh..."

        "Do you wish to see your brother? What is it?" Xander crosses his arms over his bare chest. Thankfully, he's wearing underwear.

        I find a sort of comfort in his presence even though his personality is annoying, so I push past him and go inside.

        "Excuse me? I am the captain of this vessel. You can't just barge in." Xander follows after me. "What if Ryder was naked?"

        "I've seen him naked before." I wave him off. "I don't feel good." I find Ryder, but sigh when seeing him doesn't make me feel any better.

        "How about you, I don't know, eat?" Xander asks, feeling my face. "You're losing weight."

        My skin tingles and I slap his hand away, remembering now. "I don't need food, I need Charlie."

        "Charlie isn't here. How about you eat since you've never eaten anything since coming here and cuddle up in his bed? It smells like him, I'm sure." Xander stuffs bread and fruit into my hands. "Don't waste it."

        I set the food aside and stare at him. "Can you go find him?"

        "Why? This is his therapy, I'm not going to get in the way of that."

        I touch his cheek. "You look like him."

        Ryder stands up. "Ethan—"

        Xander softens his gaze. "Do I help?"

        I nod, but start to feel worse, the realization that Xander won't bring him to me starting to crush me. I feel so lonely, so empty, I can't even think.

        Xander picks me up and sets me on Ryder's bed and looks around until he finds a shirt. He holds it up. "This is Charlie's. I'll give it to you if you eat."