♆ Chapter 24 • The Truth Comes Out ♆

Under the Siren's Spell
Chapter 24:
"The Truth Comes Out"

Charlie

      "Ethan, are you sure?" I ask. "Can you take him? What will you do?"

      "I'm sure." Ethan says, dressed in the fanciest clothes I have with his sword concealed under them.

      I look around from where we're anchored. We've caught up to Tony and his crew. The problem now is making sure our plan works. The ship is hidden from the humans, but that poses problems of its own.

      "So I'm supposed to swim us over and dry us without getting caught?" I ask.

      "No, we'll take row boats." Ethan says.

      "Just you and me?"

      "And Ryder. He's leading you."

      "Are you going to kill him?"

      "I don't want to." Ethan sighs. "But if it comes down to me or him..."

      "If you die, try to stay mostly in one piece so you're easier to heal."

      Ethan chuckles. "You can't heal the dead, you said so yourself."

      "Not just a severed head. If there's enough of the body, I can. The head has to be attached though."

      He nods. "I'll try not to stumble into any guillotines."

      "Which are a real threat here." Ryder sharpens his dagger.

      "Stay safe." I hold him as we make our way into the rowboat.

      "You too." He kisses me. "Trust Ryder."

      "You can trust him," Xander says, staying back to captain the ship. "Keep Toby as safe as possible."

      "I will." I promise.

      Xander hugs Ryder. "You'll do great."

      Ryder smirks and kisses his cheek. "I know. I love you."

      "I love you too." He hums and I exhale as everyone gets into the rowboat.

      "Are you all ready?"

      The brothers nod.

      Closing my eyes, I focus on getting us to land.

      Once we reach the water, Ethan grabs the oars.

      Giggling, I hold out my hand and help him out, propelling the boat forward at a speed that won't look suspicious.

      Ryder pulls out a small map and shows it to me. "The only reason they'll be here is for a mission. The only elite we've been interested in targeting recently is here," he circles a mansion, "therefore we can deduce Tony has taken residence at the closest inn," he draws a line and circles it, "here. It's pretty far inland, so just follow our lead and act important."

      "At least if it gets a little rocky, I have my voice." I exhale and nod.

      Ethan nods. "True, we're practically invincible."

      "Why are you so deadset on fighting Tony? I could just use my voice to keep you safe and even get your ship back." I argue.

      Ethan's eyes darken. "I need to face him."

      I nod. "We'll meet you as soon as we can."

      "You should take Toby back to the ship first. Who knows what state he'll be in..." Ethan says.