☠︎ Chapter 17 • The Heart of the Sea ☠︎

Under the Siren's Spell
Chapter 17:
"The Heart of the Sea"

☠︎
Ethan

I wake cuddled up with Charlie and sigh. Today, I start my new life of cooperating with my captors and trying to find a place in their lives, in their world.

I'm nervous.

Everything has changed for me. Everything. The people I loved have betrayed me, I've traded land for sea, and I've traded a lover for... well, an obsession. None of this was my choice and none of it is reversible.

All I can do now is adapt.

I feel Charlie stir and wait for him to wake up.

Charlie's eyes open and he looks at me before burying his face back into my chest. "Don't wanna move."

"That's fine." I hum. I don't really care what Charlie does as long as I can stay by his side.

"I should get dressed, but I'm so lazy." Charlie groans.

I consider dressing him, but I'm lazy too. "Yeah."

He slowly rolls out of bed and gets dressed into a purple shirt, pants, and boots. Charlie ruffles his hair and goes through his drawers before finding a crown made of pearls, seashells, and other beauties from the sea, and putting it on. Charlie's eyes train on his jewelry, a matching pendant necklace and earrings, before putting those on as well and calling for his trident.

I get up, entranced by his appearance and walk up behind him. "You look beautiful." I kiss his neck.

The soon to be ocean king leans back against me contently. "Thank you."

I nod and go to change.

His hazel eyes watch my every move. "She's going to be here soon, Zale."

"I'm going to steal your clothes." I announce and undress.

"You could stay naked."

I pause, looking at him worriedly. "Do you want me naked?"

"It was a joke. You just look nice naked."

"Oh," I laugh half-heartedly and get dressed in Charlie's more normal looking clothes.

"I'm sorry. Did I make you unhappy?" Charlie wraps his arms around me.

"No, Charlie."

He buries his face in my neck and just breathes.

"Are you nervous?" I ask curiously.

"Yeah."

"Because of me or...?"

"Everything." Charlie sighs. "Expectations, stress, you, me, everybody. I don't even want a fiancée or to marry her or have a baby with her. I just want to stay friends with her like always and she feels the same."

I nod. "I won't bother her."

"Thank you." He moves to hold my hand and pulls me out onto deck just in time to see his fiancée arrive.

Water pushes a woman about Charlie's age up onto the boat and she smiles, waving at us. She has tan, coffee skin, and teal hair and eyes. She has this unnatural, oceanic beauty to her and she's wearing a seafoam green gown adorned with pearls and shells, her hair down in ringlets with opal colored rings around a few locks of hair.