☠︎ Chapter 1 • Curious Creature ☠︎

Under the Siren's Spell
Chapter 1:
"Curious Creature"

☠︎
Ethan
1 Month Prior

[Content Warning: Inappropriate touching]

        I duck as a glass of mead flies over my head, a few drops landing on my shoulders.

        "Charming as always." O'Malley mutters.

        I nod in agreement. Υιοί του Ερμή [Sons of Hermes, pronounced: Yioí tou Ermí - Greek] is arguably the most chaotic pirate-ruled island on the seven seas. Pirates from all across the lands come here for information, ships, new crews, and the latest gossip on sea monsters and treasure.

        "We've got enough treasure to live fat and happy, Captain." Tony huffs. "What are we really here for?"

        "A beast." Scout, our youngest crew member mumbles. Scout's a seer with powers endowed from her patron goddess, Artemis. As one of her champions, Scout will never age so she can continue the hunt. Instead of being with her goddess, though, she left to seek game elsewhere, landing her with us.

        I, Captain Ethan Dechart, am quite famous, you see. I'm a beast killer, I hunt down the seas' worst monsters and slay them. The legends about me range far and wide and every man worth his salt knows my name.

        The noise comes to a halt the second I walk into the light and the most rambunctious group of humanity's worst turns to stare, a few lifting their hats in respect, the others glaring with distaste.

        I smile lazily. "Evening, gentlemen, ladies, and all others."

        An old man stands from his chair swiftly, his blunderbuss aimed at me. He fires a second after I had, having had anticipated his attack. One really shouldn't caress their trigger with a smirk on their face if they wish to take me by surprise.

        The man falls dead and his bullet grazes my jacket. Shame, I'll have to repair it.

        "Return to your business." I shout and everyone does so, eyes occasionally flickering my way. "Split up." I tell my crew. "I want a challenge this time."

        "Aye!" The group calls and splits up. Most of them go straight to the bar, which I anticipated. Every man needs a break once in a while, especially my men.

        I walk through the pub, eyes scanning for my favorite contact, an old coot by the name of Nicolas Taylor. He was a refined man at one point, wife, kids and a cushy job. Oh, how far one can fall.

        I find him looking shady as always in the corner and sit down across from him. "Taylor." I tip my hat.

        The man grunts, blowing smoke from his pipe. "Dechart."

        He seems to be irritated, more than usual. "You expected me to die to the last beasty you sent me after, eh?" I chuckle and he grunts.

        "Course I did! What kind of bloody fool would chase down the Skolopendra!"

        I just laugh. "You'll have to try harder than that to kill me, Taylor. I'm not the best damned monster hunter on the seas for nothin'." I take a toothpick and stick it between my teeth. "What 'ave ya got for me this time?"

        Taylor's mouth curves into an evil smirk and he leans in. "A siren."

        "A siren?" I scoff. "They're extinct."