Part 11: It's a date

The two young adults were sat in Neru's living room, not saying a word. Haku grabbed a piece of paper and started writing on it. Neru tried her best not to look interested, putting her focus back on her phone. She was sat in an armchair, sideways, with her legs over one of the arms.

Soon enough, Haku got up and placed the paper in front of Neru's phone, then exiting the room.

The paper read,

To my dear friend Neru,
As I told you yesterday, I am a lesbian. But, for now, as I'm still regaining memories, I'm going to politely reject you as a girlfriend. I don't think it's right, just yet. You never know what'll happen.

Let's see what the future holds.

I do love you, Neru.
~Haku

Neru scrunched up the paper, and stood up. She walked into the next room, where Haku was stood, waiting.

They looked at each other, silent. Neru didn't know whether to be angry, sad, or what. She clenched her fists, and looked down. Her heart rate had doubled, and she felt like she was shaking.

She sighed, unclenching her fists, closing her eyes. She almost immediately opened them again when she felt arms around her waist.

She was being hugged.
It felt nice.

Neru hugged back.

"H-Haku? Are you okay?"

Haku sniffed.

"Of course I am."

"You're sure?" Neru asked, letting go of Haku.

"Yes, yes, thank you. I'm okay."

The two were interrupted by Shizuko rubbing herself against Neru's legs, meowing. Neru gave her a slight, harmless kick.

"Not now, Shizu-chan..."

Haku looked at the cat.

"Neru, it's fine. Why can't Shizuko stay with us?"

"She's interrupting us, and all she does is meow all the time."

"No she's not! She's fine. Let's let her stay," Haku said, picking up the cat. Shizuko climbed onto Haku's shoulders, wrapping around the back of her neck and laying down. Haku smiled.

"Favouritism," Neru muttered. Haku gave a half-suppressed laugh.

"Aww, you're jealous of your cat?"

"N-no! It's just, I think that we should be... um... having a mature conversation. Without the cat."

"A conversation about what?"

"Um, your note. I guess."

Haku took a step back and looked to her side.

"I- I thought it cleared stuff up, I suppose. W-wh-why do you want to talk about it?"

"It's... It's fine. It's understandable. I just.. I guess I just wanted to make small talk."

Haku took Shizuko off of her shoulders, placing her on the floor. The cat scattered away.

"Look, Neru, how about we go out somewhere, for a meal or something. As friends."

Neru considered for a while.

"I think that would be a good idea," she smiled.

"Then- then it's a date."

"Tonight?"

"If you want to, sure."

"Alright, so, six o'clock?"

Haku smiled.

"Okay."

Neru got closer to Haku, wrapping her arms around her waist and sighing. Haku returned the hug. The two stood, wrapped together, and the hug lingered for well over a minute. Neru broke off, cleared her throat, and said,

"I'm going to get ready. I'm going on a run."

"May I- may I come with?"

"If you want to."

"Thanks. You get changed first."

"Alright. Don't hurt yourself."

"Oh, Neru. I won't."

Neru walked up the stairs, leaving Haku and Shizuko by themselves.

Haku went back into the living room and sat down, patting the seat next to her for the cat to jump onto. Shizuko, instead, walked onto Haku's lap and laid down. She pet the cat, and rested her head in her hand. She exhaled, looking at the now purring tabby. It's sleek black fur was shiny, it's white underbelly contrasting it's colours.

A short while later, Neru came back down the stairs.

"Neru, you look beautiful," Haku smiled.

Neru blushed, and looked away.

"No... I don't..."

"Yes you do. Don't put yourself down, you look like an angel."

"W-why aren't you dating me, if I'm THAT irresistible."

"Don't be silly. I said, let's take a little bit of time."

"S-shut up. Are you going to get changed, or what?"

Haku lifted the cat off of her lap and placed it on the floor.

"I'll be back in a second."

Calmly, Haku stood up, faced Neru, put her hands on Neru's shoulders, and leaned, planting a kiss on Neru's cheek. She walked away.

Neru held her cheek, and gasped. She smiled harder than she ever had. She flopped onto the sofa, and turned to Shizuko.

"S-SHIZU-CHAN! DID YOU SEE? SHE KISSED ME! OH MY GOD! SHE KISSED ME!"

Shizuko seemed to smile.

Neru stared upwards, thinking about the upcoming evening. A date, with her childhood friend, her crush, her everything.

Being unable to contain her excitement and happiness, she screamed, loudly.

Haku ran down the stairs.

"Neru?! Neru, are you okay?"

Neru sat up. She looked at the ground.

"Y-yeahhh..," she trailed away.

"Neru? Are you sure? Are you okay?"

Neru looked up at Haku. Her eyes widened, and she felt a blush creep across her face.

"Neru? Seriously, are you okay? I'm wo- Neru! Stop that!"

Spaced out, Neru didn't reply.

"Hey, Neru, look at me."

"Wh- hm?"

"Stop... stop staring. It's making me uncomfortable. I don't like wearing these."

Snapping out of the trance, Neru looked up and made eye contact with Haku.

Haku was wearing high-waisted sport leggings and a sports bra, a hoodie tied around her waist. Her hair was in a high ponytail.

"I- I- Haku, you- I- wow."

"I'm what? Do I look too slutty?"

"No! Nonono! I didn't mean that!"

"Oh, I knew I would look like I'm asking for it. I'll- I'll go and change."

"Haku! Don't change. I love that outfit. You- you look- you look more than beautiful."