Part 15: I'm sorry

Neru woke up nuzzled into Haku's neck, her arms wrapped firmly around her waist, legs interwined.

"Haku?" She whispered.

Haku was still asleep.

"Hey, wake up..."

"Mm... Go back to sleep, honey..," Haku purred, her eyes still shut.

"But it's 11am.."

"Shhh. I'm tired."

"I need to-"

"Hey, hey. Shhhh. Go to sleep, darling~"

"Your voice..."

"What about it?"

"It's all... morningy. That's- that's- really hot."

"Glad you think so. Now, close your eyes and cuddle me~"

Neru did as she was told.

"Mm, thank you baby..."

Haku was soon asleep again, holding Neru close to her.

"Haku, I need to go to the bathroom, dipshit..," Neru smiled. She gently kicked Haku's legs.

"Baby... what's wrong..?"

"I need to piss. Move, please."

"Right. Don't use me as a toilet. Go on."

Neru scurried off, leaving Haku by herself for a few minutes. She got out of bed, and started to get changed.

Neru walked back in.

"Oh! Wow, okay!" She exclaimed, walking back out the door.

"We gotta go to Miku's house. Meiko and Kaito are coming over."

"When?"

"About an hour."

"And you didn't tell me?" Neru questioned, agitated, pacing back into the room to grab clothes and back out.

"They've also apparently had a baby-"

"WHAT?! Meiko and Kaito? Together?!"

"As I said, apparently."

"Jesus. I don't wanna think about that."

"Me neither."

"I need to go feed Shizuko. I'll-"

"I- I've done it!"

"What?"

"I- I woke up early so I fed her."

"Oh. Okay. Thanks."

"What would you do if Shizuko died?"

"Huh? Pfft, I don't know. I would cry so much. I would probably be with you all the time and get really... really, like, needing a lot of cuddles. I love my Shizuko. I really do. She's so cute."

"If you... If you found her dead, covered in blood, what would you do?"

"Oh. My. God. I would scream. I would be so scared and upset and angry. I would call for you and would start crying and kicking and punching and- and-"

Haku, now fully dressed, walked over to Neru and hugged her, tighter than she ever had. Neru returned the hug.

"Ne-Neru, I need to tell you something."

Neru pulled herself away.

"What? Oh my God, Shizuko's not dead, right? No. No, you said you fed her. Shizuko... Shizuko can't be dead. No."

"I'm, I'm so sorry. I found her dead yesterday after you went to bed."

"You're- no. You're joking. Knock it off, Haku. It's not funny."

"I'm not joking. Shizuko is dead."

Neru began quivering.

"No, no she's not," she started, trembling,
"My beautiful Shizu-chan is alive. She has to be."

"Sweetie, please don't make this harder than it has to be. Come here."

Neru embraced Haku like her life depended on it. She let out a wail, and started bawling hysterically.

"Oh, baby..."

Neru tightened her grip and shouted,

"I'M SO FUCKING TIRED. I DON'T KNOW WHAT I'VE DONE, BUT SOMEONE UP THERE IS SCREWING UP EVERY PART OF MY LIFE. I WANT IT TO STOP. THAT'S ALL. THAT'S... That's all."

"I know everything seems overwhelming and bad, recently. But we'll be okay. You'll be okay. You're strong, and you can fight for yourself and you know you can. You're not scared to stick up for what you think is right. You're so brave. You're a beautiful angel and you deserve so much. That's why I want to date you, Neru. Because you're so amazing, in every way, shape and form. You're the best."

"I- I love you. I love you so much. I love you more than anything. I just want the bad things to stop."

"I'll tell you what. Let's make our way to Miku's house, so we can take our minds off of this for now. We can plan what to do with dear Shizuko later. Okay?"

"Sure... Sure thing."