Part 33: Brat

Neru opened a cupboard, getting out an anti-bacterial spray, rubber gloves and a bottle of Febreeze.

She tried to not breath through her nose, as she went upstairs and into the spare room.

There was a black bag, sitting in the middle of the floor, its contents slowly rotting with every passing moment. She leaned over, and picked it up. She could taste the stench, causing her to stop breathing completely for a brief moment.

She wasn't ready for the next sight - blood all over the floor. Her gloved hand darted to her mouth, but yet that didn't stop her from vomiting, directly onto the already disgusting stains.

Neru stepped back, scanning the room. Shattered glass, blood, and a fresh puddle of sick. She sighed, and took the bag downstairs. She threw it out - putting it in a waste bin, not know what else to do.

She went back upstairs, vacuum cleaner in hand, to clean and freshen the room.

She opened the windows, to get in as much air as she could.

After painful hours of scrubbing, spraying, moving, and cleaning, Neru went into her bedroom and flopped down onto her bed. She inhaled to take in the clean smell of her cotton white sheets. She got up to change her clothes, and put on a fluffy bunny onesie.

She got into bed, but yet she felt like she was missing something. She pulled her plushie over to her, and brought it to her chest. The lack of sleep soon caught up to her - and she fell asleep.

*************

Her phone started to ring, vibrating on the table it was on. Neru slowly opened her eyes, rolling over to answer the phone.

"Hello?"

"Neru?"

"Who's this?"

"Are you kidding?!"

"What? Answer my question."

"I'm your brother, what do you mean 'who are you'?"

"What do you want?!"

"I want to go into town."

"You're 17. You can go by yourself."

"No, as in, for Haku. I don't know what she likes. Come with me."

"Fine. When?"

Neru heard her doorbell go.

"Nero, that better not be you."

"Uh, surprise?"

"Fuck you."

Neru hung up, and dragged herself out of bed. She walked down the stairs, and opened the door.

"Aww, you're wearing the bunny onesie Mum gave you! I didn't realize you still had that!"

"Shut up, fuckhead."

"Love you too."

"Why are you even getting anything?"

Nero looked confused.

"You... You do know what day it is tomorrow, right? August 9?"

"Yes, I do. But I'm pretty sure she doesn't like you."

"I don't really care. I'm gonna get her a gift."

"Well, good luck finding something. I'm going back to bed."

"No, you're not."

"Well, if I'm not, you're coming in. We can, uh, discuss things. In the living room."

"Fine by me."

Nero strolled past Neru, and sat on the sofa. Neru 'sat' in an armchair.

They didn't talk, until Nero asked,

"Would it be offensive if I got her like... a bra?"

"What?"

"Like, does she need underwear?"

"N...no. And, why would it be offensive?"

"I don't know. Some girls are pretty insecure and get all annoyed about guys buying them that kind of stuff."

"No, it would just be weird."

"Why?"

"Just imagine: you're having a really nice day, you've got lots of lovely gifts and all your friends with you. Your girlfriend's little brother then hands you a gift. You open it, and it's a fucking bra. Wouldn't you be a little weirded out?"

"Can I tell you something?"

"I- sure."

"You know Dad would hate it if he found out you were lesbian, right?"

"Nero, what have I said? About discussing Dad?"

"Well, sorry that both of my parents still love me."

"Don't. I'm not in the mood."

"You're never in the mood."

"Have you come here just to be a little brat?"

"No, I wanted help, and you're not giving it to me. So I'm gonna piss you off."

"I'm really not in the fucking mood for an argument. I feel like shit, alright?"

"Why?"

"Look, I've got a bratty brother trying to pick an argument with me, I've no emotional support cat, I've got a girlfriend in hospital who I'm pretty sure hates me, and I'm running out of money."

"Hospital?!"

"Yes."

"Why?!"

"Stroke."

"Oh my God. Why does she hate you?"

"Just stop asking questions."

"No, seriously, I-"

"Please. Stop asking questions."

Neru was uncomfortable, biting her lip to try to hold back her emotions.

"No, Neru, I'm concerned, why does Haku hate you?"

Neru stood up, sharply, wailing,

"JUST SHUT UP! PLEASE! I DON'T WANT YOU HERE AND I DON'T WANT TO TALK TO ANYONE! I HATE YOU AND I HATE EVERYONE AND EVERYTHING!"

"Woah, calm down. Don't cry, I-"

"DON'T CRY?! DON'T FUCKING CRY?! JUST GET OUT OF MY HOUSE."

"No, you might hurt yourself, I don't want that."

"GO AWAY, I'M LITERALLY BEGGING YOU."

"Look. I can't change your mind. So I'll leave, but I'll get someone else to come."

"I DON'T WANT ANYONE TO LOOK AFTER ME! I DON'T NEED ANYONE TO LOOK AFTER ME!"

"Yes, you do. Keep your door open, okay?"

"F-FINE. BUT NOT BECAUSE I WANT SOMEONE WITH ME."

"Alright. I'll see you later, Neru. And I'm sorry."

Nero promptly picked hisself up, and left. Neru threw some cushions, and after a while had calmed herself down.

She went back upstairs, and climbed into bed. She put a fan on her, letting the cool breeze gently hit her face. She heard the door open, and a motherly voice say,

"Neru?"