Chapter 57

Alexis's POV:

"CJ I don't care how tired you say you are, I'm not leaving without you!" I tried to make him move but damn it, he wouldn't budge.

"Lexi....I'm sorry...but..I can't...go." He said in between breaths; clutching his chest.

"I'm not leaving you CJ! We didn't endure this crap storm for one of us to be left behind. Now please just lean on me. I won't let you down, I promise."

"I know you won't Alex. But this thing I have, you can't cure it. They made sure that it can't be cured. They engineered it from different diseases and created something so lethal it should be classified as bio-terrorism. I don't have much time left and I definitely have no energy left. So please, just go. I did my part and made sure nothing happened to you. I fought hard to convince them that you're more valuable than I am. I fought until I made sure that you will be next to me on my final days. So please don't waste your chance Alexis. Jaycee and his people might never find you and you would've wasted your only chance to escape this crap hole. Please Alexis! Stop being so stubborn " He said with such difficulty I almost gave in and left him; for his own sake.

His little speech made me tear up because I started to realize that I could actually lose my brother. I've known CJ my whole life; as a friend. Now that I found out that he's my brother, my twin, it hurts even more. I gave up and put my back against the wall and just let it all out. All my frustration and anger came out in the form of crystallized salt water flowing out my eyes.

"I won't let them take you from me CJ. Our parents need you and I need you!" I say making absolutely no sense since I was crying.

"Hey hey. Shshsh it's okay. It's okay." He said, hugging me; resting his chin on my head. "I did what I had to do to keep you safe and to me, that is all that matters. And besides, the point of saving anything is far gone. Just go and save yourself, I'll be ok." He whispered, hugging me tighter and.... crying?

"You know what? I'm going to go look for something to use to get you the hell out of here!" I said. I dried my tears and took out the key I got from Lucas.

"Don't come back for me. Just go! Take your first right outside the door to the end of the hallway, then left and the door should be to your right." He said, sputtering up blood?

"What the hell CJ?"

"I told you I don't have much time." He said, wiping it with the back of his hand.

I can stay here and cry at my jinxed luck, or I can get off my butt and actually do something about it. I so badly wanted to lie down, but I'm running out of time to get CJ to a proper doctor.

"Yeah yeah. You can tell me that when we both make it out of here."

I climb up the stairs that lead out of this disgusting, fungus infested basement and tried to open the door.  It didn't even need to be unlocked; it was already open. Hmm, that's weird.

Anyways.

I slowly stepped out of the door, sticking my head out to scout for any trouble.

Nothing.

Nada.

This is so weird, and what's even weirder is that there, at the end of the hallway stood a perfectly functioning, wheelchair. The red light turned on indicated that it is electric and turned on. Bingo!

I stood still for a few more seconds just to make sure everything is alright.

Three.

Two.

One.

I ran towards the end of the hallway with each step creaking so loud it felt like a shard of glass in my feet! I got to the chair and stopped for a few seconds just in case anything pops up. When nothing moved, I brought the chair back to the basement door and after setting it exactly outside the last step; I noticed something.