Chapter 63

Blood.

"Jaycee what's going on?" I said as soon as the gunshot echoes faded a little.

"Is everyone ok?" I vaguely heard Giovanni ask from above us.

My head was spinning and my ears rang at an unbearable pitch. I put my hands in front of my eyes to make sure it wasn't just slimy dirt.

It wasn't.

It was red and warm. It didn't come from me, and as Jaycee got up to steady himself, I saw that it wasn't from him either.

That left.... Jace.

I looked around and saw that he was lying on the ground, face down. The dim lit passageway made it a little harder to see but I saw it nonetheless; there was a pool of blood under him.

He's shot because of me. He lunged in front of me so I wouldn't get shot.

"Jace! Jace get up!" I pleaded, roughly shaking him. I'm not losing him too.

"Giovanni, we need a little help here!" Yelled Jaycee, as he regained his balance back.

"Come on Ross. We're not doing this right now." Said Jaycee as he flipped him over.

He was unconscious, and from what I could tell, was barely breathing. Blood was gushing out his body like an open dam.

"Alex we're going to need a paramedic down here!" Yelled Giovanni as he jumped into the passageway.

"Actually the name is Alec...." he started before he received a death glare from Giovanni.

"Yup. Never mind. On it!" He said as he disappeared over there.

Jaycee brought his ear to Jace's chest to see if he was  breathing at all.

"Brenda stop yelling in my ear I'm trying to see if he's alive!" Lashed out Jaycee.

Ashton came jumping in, the look of dread on his face.

"What the hell happened?" He asked as he crouched next to him.

"We don't have time. We need to get him out of here." Replied Jaycee, the look of worry evident on his face.

"One. Two. Three." He muttered as he performed CPR on his seemingly lifeless body.

"Come on Ross! You can't always be a pain in my ass! Get up! Brenda stop yelling!" He yelled as he got up in frustration while Ashton took over.

I was just standing there, so shocked that I couldn't even move. Not a single tear fell but my heart hurt with a different kind of pain. Jace is my friend. I know he tormented me for years but he made up for it by being an amazing friend. He took CJ in when his family shunned him, he was there whenever I needed him, and on top of all of that, he loves my best friend.

Oh my God Brenda! I can't imagine how she must be feeling!

I walked past Ashton as he tried his best to revive Jace. I snatched Jaycee's intercom from him and put it in my ear.

"Brenda?" I asked. "Hey it's Alexis."

"Oh my God Lexi! He's been shot! They shot him! Please don't let him die please!" She wept, the sound of her voice alone was like a gunshot to my heart.

"It's ok Brenda." I let out in a squeak.

Keep it together Alexis.

"We called the paramedics over and they should be on their way. It's ok. It's ok."

I don't know who I was trying to calm more; her or me. I didn't hear anything back so I assumed they turned off their intercom. I looked over as Ashton's yellow hoodie was soaked in red; blood seeped through every thread.