Chapter 60

Giovanni extended his hand for me to take, which was weird considering he literally threatened to kill me; or at least his iguana boy did.

I was hesitant, understandably, and just looked at him like a deer in headlights.

"It's okay Alexis. I won't hurt you." He smiled. The kindness in his eyes looked like a wall that was ready to crumble only to reveal a raging flood.

Unconsciously, I took his extended arm and he gently lifted me off the ground; his other arm on my back to prevent me from falling.

Am I dreaming or is he actually being a decent human? Like he hasn't been pushing me around and making my life a living hell.

"Alexis don't go with him! If you hurt her I'll murder you myself Herrera do you hear me!" Yelled Jaycee, still held back by those gorilla guys.

"You already did that when you killed my brother you worthless piece of crap! You took away my only family and I promised myself that I wouldn't ever leave you for that. And you know very well that I tend to my promises." He said, then turning to me he gently added, "Let's go princess. Your uncles are waiting for us outside."

"I'm not going to my uncles.." I reply weekly, barely getting my legs to move. "My uncles want to kill me and my brother. Please don't take me to them. Please." I whispered.

He got a 'ding' on his phone, and he stopped dead in his tracks. From where I was standing, I could see that a it was an email and whatever it was, it made him smile a little.

"$1,397,977.76 has been deposited into your account" was the message that came in that email.

"Half now, half later." He muttered under his breath.

Did they actually pay him to do all of that? How bad do they want us dead?

"Let's go Alexis. And for the record, I'm sorry to be doing this. But lover boy over there took something from me and I promised revenge." He said, emotions taking over his face for a split second before it was masked with whatever mask he had on.

"Hey?" I asked, getting his attention for once. Everyone else was just a blur in the distance at this point.

"What did Jaycee do that got you so adamant on hurting someone you've never met?"

"If I tell you, I don't think you'll believe me." He sighed.

"Try me." I pushed, determined more than ever to find out more about what Jaycee has been doing in that stupid gang of his.

He was contemplating whether or not to tell me before he finally started speaking. He took my arm and wrapped it more securely around his neck as we walked into a smelly doorway with an ascending staircase. He sat me down on one of the steps as he started tying my shoelaces.

"To make a long story short, he killed my brother." He let out, his voice faltering ever so slightly.

My entire body froze, goosebumps erupted everywhere and I felt so sick. He could clearly see that I was shocked, because no way would Jaycee ever threaten someone; let alone kill them.

"I'm... I'm sorry. You must be mistaken because Jaycee would never harm anyone, let alone kill them. Maybe another gang did that to you and tried to frame him?" I reasoned. There's just absolutely no way he would do that, trust me.

He finished tying my shoelaces, tucked them into my shoes and just looked at me with kind, remorseful eyes.

"Only kind, and genuine people choose to see the good in others Alexis. And in this time, it's very hard to find someone like that." He was cut off when someone said something over the intercom.