Chapter Twelve: Pretty Much Dead Already

┏━━━━━━ Kayla's pov ━━━━━━┓

Everyone was up and moving this morning except for me. I was thinking about Jennifer. Even though Dad said it wasn't my fault, apart of me felt like it was. I sat on the log staring into the fire when Daryl came next to me handing a plate of eggs, but I shook my head.

" Hey you ok ?"

" Yeah, just thinking a bit about my mom." I whispered not really in the mood to explain to the Carl, who was sitting just five feet away from us.

I didn't know what Carl would think. Would he still consider me to be his sister? Would he hate Jennifer for being Dad's first love? How about hating his own mother for keeping such a big secret? I couldn't really think about it not wanting him to. I could understand him being confused, but to resent me would break my heart.

I didn't even know what to call Lori anymore. Yes, she raised me for twenty five years, but how she snapped on me yesterday...I felt hurt. A part of me thinks she only pretended to be my mom for Dad's sake and yesterday was her breaking point of the act. I could never say that to a child. I could never snap on Carl and say we were half siblings versus whole.

" So there's Walkers in the barn." Glenn said standing in the middle.

Daryl and I look at him with shock, but Shane was the one to just get up angry and stomp towards the barn. Daryl helped me up, interlocking our hands, and so we got to the barn hearing the moaning. Shane went up to the barn to look in when a walker bumped and groans on the door trying to reach for us all.

Shane groaned loudly before turning and looking to my Dad." You can not tell me you are ok with this."

" No, I'm not, but we're guest here. This isn't our land."

" This is our lives !"

" Lower your voices." Glenn whispered nervous while looking to the Greene's house.

"We cant just sweep this under the rug." I said looking to the barn and wondering how many walkers were inside.

" It ain't right not remotely." Andrea added.

Shane paced back and forth glaring at the barn," Okay, we either got to go in there. We've got to make things right or we've just got go. Now we have been talking about Fort Benning for a long time."

" We can't go !" Dad protested angry at Shane.

" Why, Rick? Why?"

" Because my daughter is still out there." Carol said coming from behind Daryl and me with the little courage she had.

" Okay, let's just consider the other possibilities."

" We're not leaving Sophia behind !" I yelled out of anger glaring to the man.

Carol's eyes water instantly at the thought of leaving her little girl behind. Daryl looked at Carol and I before swinging his arm around.

" Hey ! I'm close to finding this little girl. I just found her damn doll two days ago."

Shane started a dry laugh turning to look at Daryl and I in disgust." You found a doll, Daryl. That's what you did. You found a doll."

" You don't know what the hell you're talking about !" Daryl screamed getting closer to Shane.

I quickly grabbed his arm keeping him back. Daryl felt my hand and relaxed knowing a fight would be bad with me in the middle, but Shane had other ideas.

" I'm just saying what needs to be said !" Shane yelled despite my Dad also trying to break up the fight." If you get a good lead, it's in the first forty eight hours !"