Chapter Thirteen: Nebraska

┏━━━━━━ Kayla's pov ━━━━━━┓

I shot Sophia.

She was gone. Little Sophia was on the ground, pale, grayish blonde hair with a walker bite on her neck and a bullet hole in her head. Carol's sobs were heard behind me, and I couldn't bring myself to turn and see her sad eyes. I knew those sad eyes would be towards me. Sophia's death was one me. If I had been faster, Sophia would be with her mother. Safe.

" Don't look. Don't look." I heard and finally turned to see Daryl pick up Carol, but she pushed him and ran away.

Our group members weren't the only people crying. I turned more, seeing Beth Greene escape Jimmy's arm and walk towards the pile of walkers.

" Shh. Shh. Shh. Wait. Wait." Dad pleaded, but she kept going. She bent down to her mom, sobbing.

" Ma?" She asked and flipping over her mom when the walker grabbed her by her pigtails.

" Beth!" I yelled, running over and tugging on the walker to get it off of her. The walker saw I was trying to help and turned, almost biting me on my arm.

" Kayla !" I heard being yanked into the air.

Andrea grabbed a scythe and killed the walker right in the head. I looked up into my father's eyes, seeing the worry wash around.

" Are you bit?"

" No," I answered, seeing he slowly released his grip on me.

He nodded before turning and jogging up the hill seeing Shane following the Greene family. Looked over, seeing Lori holding Carl as he sobbed. I opened my arms, and soon he ran over sobbing into my chest.

" I know, bubba. I'm sorry. I'm sorry."

" She was right there."

" I know," I said, kissing his head. When I looked up, Daryl was far away in the field's stomping. He probably heard me almost get bit and didn't care." Go to your mama now."

Carl nodded, walking back to Lori and sitting on the dirt road. I dust off my pants and walk into the RV and watching Carol. She stared out into the window, not crying anymore, but I could tell she was in a deep depression. I didn't speak to her. I technically had no words to say to her.

I know she hates me and is probably cursing me in my head for sitting with her. That's when I looked down at my boots, seeing Sophia's blood at the tip. I quickly hopped down the counter and opened the bathroom to clean it. I grabbed a rag and began to scrub, biting my lip to stop the cries. I didn't want Carol to hear me and kept sniffing. I came back out to see Daryl sitting on the sink, looking sadly to me. I knew he heard.

" You got her ?" I asked, seeing he nodded, so I walked out the Rv.

" Kayla." He called, but keep walking with the tears in my eyes.

I walk all the way to the river and look in the water telling the tears I've been holding out. Sophia should be alive right now. I should have ran faster. I should have been under that car with her and kept her alive.

" I'm sorry, Sophia." I cried." I'm sorry."

After a while, I stopped crying, but like Carol, I fell into a pit of depression, just staring into the water. I heard the footsteps behind me but didn't bother to turn or even grab my gun if in danger.

" Kayla." Daryl said, and I finally turned," They're putting Sophia to rest."

I grabbed my gun next to me and got up, passing Daryl and walking to the funeral. This funeral should only be for the Greene family. It's not fair Sophia was being put six feet under. Nobody said anything at the funeral. We just stood there staring at the graves and then slowly moving away from everyone. I went back to the riverside, feeling the warm sun touch my skin. It was relaxing until I heard a set of footsteps coming towards me.