Chapter Twenty Nine: Clear

┏━━━━━━ Kayla's Pov ━━━━━━┓

I got out of the car and looked at my old neighborhood I once felt so safe in. I smiled a bit and started walking around the neighborhood. I remembered being so young and roaming these streets with my friends and family. Dad, Mom, and Carl were behind me, taking in the view just as I was.

" Haven't been here since 1989." Mom said, smiling around the place.

We got to the police department, and instantly I remembered my time here. There was a time when I was five, and a nasty storm had washed over Atlanta. I remembered the power was flickering. The chief was outside, putting sandbags since the flooding was getting into the shop. I was so young and so scared that I hid in my Dad's office till he found me and sang a song to cheer me up. Now the place had changed so much with the smell of mold and an occasional rat squealing through the floor.

I followed my Dad seeing he kicked a shelf angry." Damn it !" He cursed.

" Rick, it's okay. We can find somewhere else." Mom said, but he shook his head-scratching the back of his head.

" There's other places. The bar in town. People didn't know that they had two or three guns behind the counter, I know because I signed the permits." Dad said and looked around the office more.

I looked over to find Shane's desk and knew he had a spare gun inside. When I was a teen, he told me just in case something ever happened in the department.

" What you doing ?" Dad asked, and I opened the drawer seeing the gun inside full to the max.

" Shane told me if anything happened here to go in his desk for this," I said and handed him the gun.

He nodded, inspecting the gun before giving it back to me." Keep it." He said, and I nodded, placing the gun in my holster.

I felt grief when doing so. Shane was dead, Lori was dead, and all my old friends from school were dead. My neighborhood was quiet now, and there was no way I could change any of it. We kept walking until we saw writing on a wall.

" Look," I said, causing them to look over to the ground.

I bent down and touched the spray-painted arrow on the ground leading somewhere. I stood back up and looked to Dad, confused. He just got his gun out and continued the walk. We turned a corner to see a street having spikes and walkers on the spikes. I rested my hand on my gun, already watching the traps and tracks in front of me.

" What is it ?" Mom asked, doing the same thing I was.

" I don't know," Dad whispered, standing in front of many walker traps that had spikes and booby traps.

They even had many signs and animals trapped in cages. I read the floor to see someone had spray-painted a message.

NO GUILT, YOU KNOW THAT. JUST LEAVE. TURN AROUND AND LEAVE.

Dad walked forward carefully, and we followed doing the same action. I swallowed and slowly got my gun out, looking behind me to see Carl and Mom. She turned to me and nodded, placing a hand lightly behind Carl.

" It looks like someone's already made this theirs." Mom said, squinting her eyes and looking around the place.

" Doesn't mean they found what we're looking for." Dad said, looking over to her before looking back up." A couple of the places are just up ahead. Let's get in and get the hell out of here." He ducked under the wire and carefully lifted it for us all to get by." There. Tyrell's. A shotgun and two handguns. A license issued to Tyrell Debbs."

I nodded and kept walking till I heard the sound of growling and turned, seeing a lone female walker make her way over to us. I went to go kill it when Dad grabbed my arm.