Chapter Sixteen: I'm Not A Stranger

┏━━━━━━ Kayla's pov ━━━━━━┓

The said when it rains....it pours

Dale was dead. Another death in the group, and I think it hasn't even been a month. After Daryl shot Dale, everyone went there in different ways. I was still in Glenn's arms staring at the deceased body of Dale. No matter how much my mind screamed to look away, I made no movement to do so.

" Kayla, come on." Glenn tried, but I didn't.

I remained planted on the ground staring at Dale's eyes until Dad walked over closing them. He was no longer suffering, but he was no longer here. Daryl lightly took me from Glenn's arms, nodding his head that I would be okay before carrying me bridal style to our tent. It was maybe about the middle of the night, storming bitterly outside.

The tent shook back and forth from how bad the winds and rain came. The lightning was no better lighting the tent up every minute. I couldn't sleep. It wasn't because there was wind thumping loudly outside or the monstrous thunder booming. Every time I closed my eyes, I saw Dale's dead body that still had its smile.

I was wrapped up in Daryl's arms, feeling his chest breath in and out against my back. It was the only peace I had right now. Tears started to fall from my eyes, thinking about today. I had convinced myself Sophia would be the last death to ever fall upon this group. I had convinced myself that the farm was a safe place for us, but I was so wrong.

I was foolish to think we would ever be safe. No place was ever going to be safe again. Daryl must of noticed I was crying because he wrapped his arms tightly around me and kissed the back of my head. I tried to stay silent hoping he was just moving in his sleep, but his voice carried over the storm.

" What's wrong, beautiful ?" He whispered, moving up to kiss my cheek.

" He died over a walker. He didn't deserve it. No one does." I cried, turning around to face him." He was just trying to help save someone."

He kissed my forehead and allowed me to lay on his chest. Daryl felt like home. Like a place, I would forever be safe in. Danger could surround us and in his arms is where I would want to die. I like the way we were together. We fit, and I've never fit with anyone the way we do. I melted into his arms squeezing my eyes shut to get rid of the images haunting me.

" When I heard the scream, I panicked, thinking it was you."

" Daryl-"

" I thought the Walker got you, and I was too late. As I was running in the fields, I thought about if I did lose you." He explained, playing with my hair and staring at me with his crystal blue eyes." I then saw the Walker on top of you, and...all this anger came out of me thinking about the worst. I've never been so scared of losing something in my life, then again, nothing in my life has ever meant as much to me like you do."

I got up and laid on top of him, hearing his heartbeat fast. I had a feeling of me being close to him as possible would help. Soon it lowered a bit, and he placed a warm hand over my back.

" You wouldn't lose me again...ever," I said, seeing the relief in his eyes." I mean it. You have me, Daryl. More than anyone has ever had me."

" Why?" He asked and I laughed getting off of him.

He frowned at my action, but I smiled sitting next to him and looking at his face. Who would of known Daryl, and I would be a couple? That the man I met with the crossbow would make me feel complete and wanted?

" There were people before you. People that I thought fell in love with me, but each time let me down. Cheating, lying, manipulative. You're none of those. You're like my personal safe haven." I admitted feeling my cheeks heat up." I never believed in love or the idea of it, but then I met you."

" Me?" He questioned and I nodded.

" Only you." I clarified." So please, don't doubt my love for you, it's the only thing I'm sure of."

Daryl leaned up quickly and kissed me on the lips, both rough and soft that it brought my body to life. I clutched him tighter, my fingers untangling in his hair needing him urgently. He got the sense of it placing his hands on the back of my leg and placing me in his lap. His hands worked the hem of my shirt and I gasped feeling his cold hands on bare skin.

He took the chance slipping his tongue into my mouth and I allowed it to happen driving crazy with how much I wanted this to happen. My hands left his neck moving to his face caressing his cheek slightly. I smiled and started unbuttoning his flannel needing more contact. It finally came off, and his hot chest was against me. I didn't know what was going on, but I loved it and did not want to stop anytime soon.

Daryl pulled his face back and I frowned, but needed it too feeling out of breath," You know, you're everything I ever wanted, and that scares the living shit out of me." He admitted." So, I need to show you something."

I nodded, noticing his face showed hurt and embarrassment. He got up and turned around to see many scars on his back. They were purple and vein deep, and many small ones were around it. I ran my hand across it, seeing her flinched a bit by the touch.

" I'm not a stranger." I reminded looking to his face seeing the fear." I'm just someone who loves you."

He nodded his head slowly facing forward again," From my childhood. I was abused by my father after our mom died. He used to grab whips and throw cigars at us." He explained.

" You're a soldier," I said, but he laughed.

" I'm just another broken person, Kayla."

" Don't." I said lightly touching his shoulder and kissing it." Don't hide from me who you really are. I'm not a stranger."

He slowly turned towards me still afraid, but I didn't want him to be. I didn't want him to hide from me who he really was or had to deal with in life. Feeling a bit nervous, I tucked on the hem of my shirt pulling it over my head and throwing it on the ground. His eyes went to my body, but I knew it wasn't for lust at first. His eyes went directly to the wound on my shoulder and stomach.

" I know they don't make me pretty, but they also don't define me." I said slowly moving my hand to his face." Your scars don't define you either, Daryl."

He stared down at me slowly wrapping his arms around my waist. I expected him to kiss me again, but he just stared at my face slowly causing me to frown.

" Daryl, why you staring at me? I hate when people stare at me."

" You don't understand how much I love you." He stated pressing his body to my own and crashing his lips to mine once again.

Skin on skin contact made me come alive in fire that I didn't know could happen between people. His hands explored my body while I couldn't help, but to explore him feeling every muscle, scar, skin, love. We backed up and I gasped thinking we were falling until my back slapped against the mattress almost popping it.

We laughed together waiting for the sound of it breaking, but nothing could be determined with the storm still going off outside. The flashes gave us light and I stared into his eyes before attacking his lips once again.

" I love you." He said, in between breaths and I smiled knowing what I was about to say next was nothing, but true.

" I love you, too."